Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Or fab tire carrier questions....

Old 09-14-2015, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Or fab tire carrier questions....

To the people running this carrier. I just picked one up, and I'm about to install.

Did everyone here drill that pilot hole from the inside out per the instructions? If so, what did you use? A small drill? Dremel? Angle drill?

And.... How the heck do you mount the tire on the carrier? Just pick it up and place it while juggling the threaded t bar!?!?!?
Old 09-14-2015, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by miraclemax
To the people running this carrier. I just picked one up, and I'm about to install.

Did everyone here drill that pilot hole from the inside out per the instructions? If so, what did you use? A small drill? Dremel? Angle drill?

And.... How the heck do you mount the tire on the carrier? Just pick it up and place it while juggling the threaded t bar!?!?!?
Used an angle drill amd had a dozen 1/8th inch bits on hand(used most of them),And yes you just pick up the tire/rim and set it on there and then use the t-bar to tighten it down.
Oh and by the way i love this tire / rotopax carrier.

Last edited by Sodak; 09-14-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, you use a 90-degree drill and use a small bit from the inside. Only real way to make sure you get it lined up.

The tire/wheel actually sits on the little bar that bolts above the threaded bar. The T-bar is just to tighten the wheel against the carrier, it doesn't actually hold the weight of the wheel/tire.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sdr0303
Yes, you use a 90-degree drill and use a small bit from the inside. Only real way to make sure you get it lined up.

The tire/wheel actually sits on the little bar that bolts above the threaded bar. The T-bar is just to tighten the wheel against the carrier, it doesn't actually hold the weight of the wheel/tire.

Does it go through the lugnut hole or do you remove the center cap?
Old 09-14-2015, 07:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by miraclemax
Does it go through the lugnut hole or do you remove the center cap?
Remove the center cap...
Old 09-15-2015, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Be sure to put a piece of hose (5:8 fuel hose works) on the little bar for the wheel to sit on. I found the wheel would squeak sitting metal on metal and it keeps the bar (steel) from damaging the wheel (aluminum).
Old 09-15-2015, 02:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sdr0303
Be sure to put a piece of hose (5:8 fuel hose works) on the little bar for the wheel to sit on. I found the wheel would squeak sitting metal on metal and it keeps the bar (steel) from damaging the wheel (aluminum).
Great idea with the hose

I just installed mine a few weeks ago.
I used a right angle drill. I install a lot of parts on my rig and buddy's and will say that I hope I never do another on of these. With that being said I live the orfab carrier on my jeep
Old 09-15-2015, 05:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pain to install but well worth the effort. This is a rock solid tire carrier and I am 100% satisfied with the purchase!!

This is an old photo but here is my carrier easily supporting (2) 5 gallon jerry cans full of fuel, a 48" HiLift jack and a 33" tire. Just make sure you set some pre-load on the carrier based on your typical load so it lines up nicely with the landing block.

Last edited by OH9JK; 09-15-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

The install of this carrier is a nightmare. Got about 5 hours in yesterday, and were about 80% done I would say.

What a pain in the ass. You need tiny noodles arms and midget hands to fit in some of these area, that you can't even see.....

I didn't set a preload on the carrier, so I finish it up, and add the tire (35 inch) and see where it lands.....

I'll never install one of these again.....
Old 09-16-2015, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep they suck and the instructions are worthless... But once it's on it a very very nice addition to your jeep.

Quick Reply: Or fab tire carrier questions....