Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OR-Fab tire carrier/jerry can holder??

Old 03-16-2011, 07:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OR-Fab tire carrier/jerry can holder??

Was wondering if any one has had any problem with the spare tire grinding on rocks as you come down a sleep incline. Ive been watching some of these Moab videos and it seems that the spares always seem to hit on the way down. Ive had that happen to my spare going to local trails and my mount is standard. So im curious if the OR-Fab can get damaged cause it sticks out further then a standard mount.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am curious as well.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:32 PM
JK Freak

Default works for me

I'ts never been an issue with me, but then maybe I've never come off of anything steep enough to hit the rear tire on my OR-Fab carrier.

-meljr
Old 03-16-2011, 08:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had posted in another thread relating to the orfab carrier when someone replied to me pointing out they had witnessed damage done to the rear end of a wrangler with the orfab when it came off a steep incline. It would stand to reason, move the spare outward=decreased departure angle when obstacle is tall as well. I would imagine someone could not nose up as close to a tree in tight woods with one of those far reaching stingers on a front bumper either. I am currently working with a custom fab shop to integrate a rear departure skid (so to speak) that will be supporting a mid way spare height mounted cargo tray. I really like the Hanson set-up but will not spend a total of $2000 (bumper, spare mount, cargo basket, and can holders) to get the main thing I want which is the cargo capacity. We are brainstorming how to make this thing rigid enough to serve as a skid and still have swing out capabilities to open rear t-gate. Wish me luck.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by thelouv
I had posted in another thread relating to the orfab carrier when someone replied to me pointing out they had witnessed damage done to the rear end of a wrangler with the orfab when it came off a steep incline. It would stand to reason, move the spare outward=decreased departure angle when obstacle is tall as well. I would imagine someone could not nose up as close to a tree in tight woods with one of those far reaching stingers on a front bumper either. I am currently working with a custom fab shop to integrate a rear departure skid (so to speak) that will be supporting a mid way spare height mounted cargo tray. I really like the Hanson set-up but will not spend a total of $2000 (bumper, spare mount, cargo basket, and can holders) to get the main thing I want which is the cargo capacity. We are brainstorming how to make this thing rigid enough to serve as a skid and still have swing out capabilities to open rear t-gate. Wish me luck.
Cool, thanks for the info. I really like the carrier and OR-Fab and of course the price. But all it would take is one steep incline or decline for their to be a problem. I went up a little hill and the spare tire was on the ground. Could put you in a bad spot one day in the future.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 PM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know that at Moab our buddy Mituk came down White Knuckle and other steep drops without any damage. That said, we are installing one within the next couple of weeks and will definitely be putting it to the test at Moab and Rubicon this year so we'll be sure to share our experiences with you all!
Old 03-16-2011, 09:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
I know that at Moab our buddy Mituk came down White Knuckle and other steep drops without any damage. That said, we are installing one within the next couple of weeks and will definitely be putting it to the test at Moab and Rubicon this year so we'll be sure to share our experiences with you all!
That would be great, ill keep both eyes open for that report.

Quick Reply: OR-Fab tire carrier/jerry can holder??