Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OR-Fab tire carrier

Old 05-25-2012, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love mine, Im just using the normal jerry cans now with the intention of going rotopax later, has anyone mounted the tailgate rotopax carrier with this tire carrier? Just thinking of pulling a little of the weight off the tirecarrier and back to the tailgate
Old 05-25-2012, 04:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by laughrun
Looks good man. So what Im saying, do you adjust yours so it lines up perfect or just pretty close and then let the block either pick up or pull it down when it's latched.
I tighten the hinge bolts and just line it up as close as possible.

Originally Posted by codename607
I'm thinking about going with this tire carrier. How was the install? Looks great by the way.
The install is a big PITA. Took me about 5 hours because the reinforcing brackets that go inside the taillight assemblies are difficult to get to & install. As much as I love it, I wouldn't do it again if I bought another JK. I'd go with maybe a LOD bumper and Gerry can holder. It's just one of those installs that you don't want to do more than once.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd say the install was alittle tricky, but I sure like the look .
Old 05-25-2012, 04:40 AM
JK Freak

Hey Big Red, do you have the version that was originally for Jerry Cans, then went with double stacked roto's? Or do you have the Rotopax version, but cram another one on the driver side?
Old 05-25-2012, 06:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by B 1000
Hey Big Red, do you have the version that was originally for Jerry Cans, then went with double stacked roto's? Or do you have the Rotopax version, but cram another one on the driver side?
I have the original carrier version, with adapter brackets for the rotopax. I could've gotten the newer design, but I wanted to be able to carry up to 4 different rotopax cans, and the original version is 2-3" wider.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
I have the original carrier version, with adapter brackets for the rotopax. I could've gotten the newer design, but I wanted to be able to carry up to 4 different rotopax cans, and the original version is 2-3" wider.

Gotcha. I have the Rotopax version and there is a little bit of space between the pax and the tail gate for the rubber stoppers. I was just curious if you somehow managed to squeeze another pax in that space.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the original version too. I might have gone with the rotopax version if I knew my boat was gonna hit my spare tire while towing! Something to keep in mind for anyone that tows. Its only at very tight turns thou.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I adjusted it...got it spot on! Lol. How tight did you go on the hinge bolts? I know they need to be tight, but don't want to strip out the bolts.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:09 AM
JK Freak

Hey guys I have the same carrier but since I had a shop install mine (me and my dad were really busy) I don't know how to set the preload. Could anyone tell me how to do this?
Old 07-11-2012, 10:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by echoshotz
Hey guys I have the same carrier but since I had a shop install mine (me and my dad were really busy) I don't know how to set the preload. Could anyone tell me how to do this?
You have to adjust the washers on the hinge side so the carrier sits just a little high on the landing block. Then once the weight of the tire is on there it'll sit perfect. I have the non-can version, I think mine ended up being about 1/4" high if I remember right.

Quick Reply: OR-Fab tire carrier