Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OR-Fab Tire Carrier

Old 05-08-2012, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OR-Fab Tire Carrier

Hello all,

I am going to be pulling the trigger and getting the OR fab tire carrier. Only concern, I have 35's on stock rubicon wheels. Will this tire carrier work with stock rims?

Please let me know

Old 05-08-2012, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes it will but you will need some sort of spacer for the t-handle because the threads aren't long enough for that backspacing. I found a piece of pipe that was the big enough to slide over the end of the T-handle, then cut it to the length I needed and painted it black.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

My stock saharas with 35" trail grapplers fit with no spacers or adapters.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Actually you will be fine! Thats spacer thing is only needed If you have a small amount of backspacing, like under 3.75". I ran my stock rubi rim now that I think of it on my or fab tire carrier for a while. Sorry I had my logic bassakwards.

Last edited by Jeep(NV); 05-08-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:41 PM
JK Super Freak

I have the MOAB 17in wheels and they work perfectly on the OR-FAB no adapters needed.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

Default thanks

Nice ride. THAT LOOKS AWESOME. what is the deal with the t handle? how does the rim connect to the carrier?

Originally Posted by Jarodbeg
My stock saharas with 35" trail grapplers fit with no spacers or adapters.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

The carrier has a bar with a hole on the end (to put a padlock).
The center cap of the wheel has to be removed, and the bar passes through the hole for the wheel to rest on.
The carrier comes with an aluminum plate with a rubber "gasket" which is placed on the front face of the wheel.
The T-handle has threads on the end which pass through the center hole of the wheel, right under the lock bar. It screws into the carrier and presses against the aluminum plate, securing the wheel against the carrier.

Last edited by Jarodbeg; 05-09-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 05-10-2012, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

Default thank you

Thank you so much brother. That answers alot of my concerns. I will be pulling the trigger on this carrier. so for the last time..... i buy this, i shouldnt have a problem with my stock 17's with 35''. i see the pics are my proof, but even the dude from OR-Fab said that it might not work. Looks like you know a little more about his product.
Thank you again

Originally Posted by Jarodbeg

The carrier has a bar with a hole on the end (to put a padlock).
The center cap of the wheel has to be removed, and the bar passes through the hole for the wheel to rest on.
The carrier comes with an aluminum plate with a rubber "gasket" which is placed on the front face of the wheel.
The T-handle has threads on the end which pass through the center hole of the wheel, right under the lock bar. It screws into the carrier and presses against the aluminum plate, securing the wheel against the carrier.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wranglerxnewbie
Thank you so much brother. That answers alot of my concerns. I will be pulling the trigger on this carrier. so for the last time..... i buy this, i shouldnt have a problem with my stock 17's with 35''. i see the pics are my proof, but even the dude from OR-Fab said that it might not work. Looks like you know a little more about his product.
Thank you again
Strange. Did he say why it might not work?

One of my sets is 35s (BFG MT) on 17in MOABs and fits quite well with room to spare.

One thing I remember some folks here mentioning is the departure angle, but only if you are using the can version and plan to do some radical rock crawling. But then it's how you us the Jeep, not mounting the tire on the carrier. ;-)
Old 05-11-2012, 08:01 AM
JK Super Freak

I have stock 17" rims and 35s, and haven't had a problem since installation. They're not Rubi rims, but they're the same shape (upgraded X rims).

Unless they've changed something it will work fine.

Quick Reply: OR-Fab Tire Carrier