Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

or fab tire carrie question

Old 03-07-2010, 09:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default or fab tire carrie question

i'm 99% sure this is true, but wanna triple check..

the landing block should be about 1/4 inch off the body--not flush, right?

i only drilled about 1/4 inch deep into the body and stopped at the first layer..

the space is about 1/2 inch deep..
that leave about 1/4 inch sticking out above body..

right?

thanks
steve
Old 03-07-2010, 10:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep you are right thats how mine is.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:08 PM
JK Super Freak

the tire carrier is installed. it rocks! i do have a few Q's

1) the spacers & washers that hold the carrier on. is there a specific order, or whatever works?
2) the carrier doesn't line up exactly with the landing block. maybe 1/8 inch higher. will it level out after a few miles with a tire weighing it down?
3) only the lower bumper of the carrier touches the body. not the top bumper. do i need to adjust anything to make the top flush?

thanks to dave at northridge for a good price & thanks for brent_F70 for his writeup--the instructions for Orfab were pretty good, but if anyone is gonna install this i suggest they get x-ray vision, arms that can stretch like plastic man.(and that 90 degree drill bit is priceless).

steve
Old 03-07-2010, 08:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by stevedolce
the tire carrier is installed. it rocks! i do have a few Q's

1) the spacers & washers that hold the carrier on. is there a specific order, or whatever works?
2) the carrier doesn't line up exactly with the landing block. maybe 1/8 inch higher. will it level out after a few miles with a tire weighing it down?
3) only the lower bumper of the carrier touches the body. not the top bumper. do i need to adjust anything to make the top flush?

thanks to dave at northridge for a good price & thanks for brent_F70 for his writeup--the instructions for Orfab were pretty good, but if anyone is gonna install this i suggest they get x-ray vision, arms that can stretch like plastic man.(and that 90 degree drill bit is priceless).

steve
I pretty much put the spacers and washers in according to the "whatever works" method but I think I have 2 washers, spacer, 2 washers....not near my jeep so I can't check.
The carrier can be adjusted to line up correctly, you need to loosen the bolts at the hinges and adjust it down a little, if you rely on the weight to do it the only way it will happen is for something to bend or thoses bolts to loosen up.
Both bumpers should touch the body...if I remember correctly it screws in so screw it out a little until it is flush.

Glad my write up helped and
Old 03-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no top bumper the landing block will help keep the top from any movement. The bump doohickie on the bottom unscrews to a point where it touches snug against the square adhesive pad doohickie. If you do it just right no movement/ rattling. Adjust it as necessary!

Quick Reply: or fab tire carrie question