Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OR-Fab swing away tire carrier

Old 11-16-2011, 08:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
+1 Almost 10 hours (one afternoon + one morning) for me doing it alone. However, I measured four to five times and did several dry fits before drilling anything. ;-)

No rattles, very solid, but terrible finish. Already rusting in a few spots after only about a month that I installed, and I only got some Seattle rain. So, be ready for some spray paint from time to time.
yea i was doing mine alone to i did have to get someone to come and help me out with some adjusting that was a pain by myself. i scratched it in a few spots making my own third brake light and i see some rust so i see me having to sand it down and re paint it in the future oh well great product tho other wise. I got mine just so i could carry the extra gas, me and the wife are getting stationed in Alaska and were going to drive so we figured it was a good idea and peace of mind.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You did the right thing. I'll have to pull mine out at the end of Winter and repaint it. Or-fab did a bad job on the painting. Apparently no base under the powder coat.
Attachment 237758
This is just one of the points where the paint flaked.

It's a good design though. They just need to improve the QA.
There definitely is a primer coat on these. That area is prone to scratching due to it hitting the support bracket I believe.

In any case, I have many OR-Fab products and they are all primed, but I do agree the powder coating could be thicker and higher quality. I have no chipping or pitting on any of my OR-Fab stuff (front/rear bumpers, sliders, tire carrier) besides the carrier where it makes contact with that bracket.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by aermotor

There definitely is a primer coat on these. That area is prone to scratching due to it hitting the support bracket I believe.

In any case, I have many OR-Fab products and they are all primed, but I do agree the powder coating could be thicker and higher quality. I have no chipping or pitting on any of my OR-Fab stuff (front/rear bumpers, sliders, tire carrier) besides the carrier where it makes contact with that bracket.
It's not only there. It's pitting everywhere.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1955338970.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	239453
This photo is inside, in an area that does not hit anything. Already several pits showing. Even that one in the previous photo is far from the bracket.
The surface preparation, or even the steel itself, has serious problems. For the price charged it ought be much better.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, that is strange. Hopefully Yates will chime in if he can.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:04 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Default Rusting

+1 Almost 10 hours (one afternoon + one morning) for me doing it alone. However, I measured four to five times and did several dry fits before drilling anything. ;-)

No rattles, very solid, but terrible finish. Already rusting in a few spots after only about a month that I installed, and I only got some Seattle rain. So, be ready for some spray paint from time to time.

General Maintenance to powder coated parts may be required depending on your areas climate to help prevent surface rust:

Depending on the use of the parts or items, the environment the item is used in and the care and maintenance of the item, powder coating can last many years or become worn in a short period of time.

Keeping the product clean and washed with a mild soap is first, as well as a thin coating of wax or a light maintenance oil like WD-40. There are many brands of wax on the market that can be used; I personally like Turtle Wax, using an aerosol can with a clean microfiber towel works well.

This is not to say that you haven’t performed preventative maintenance, I just wanted to express the importance of finish protection. A little maintenance goes a long way.

I want to be sure that we address your issues with the powder coating finish. You can reach me anytime or our customer service team and we would gladly work with you to resolve your issues.

You can contact me direct at 928-710-0379

Steve
Old 12-21-2011, 01:34 PM
JK Freak

Have any of you rhino-lined the or fab carrier? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on it but the coat/rust comments give me pause.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bubbacon
Have any of you rhino-lined the or fab carrier? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on it but the coat/rust comments give me pause.
Once I get my carrier and the bumper, I will bedline it. Just waiting to get enough items to bedline at once with a raptor liner kit.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Bubbacon
I rattle-canned mine. I just considered their powder-coating a really thick base coat, so I scuffed it up a bit, put 2-3 coats of self-etching primer on, and then another 3 coats of Duplicolor spray on bedliner.

Quick Reply: OR-Fab swing away tire carrier