Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OR-Fab swing away tire carrier

Old 11-15-2011, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by desertrunner
thanks for all the replies guys
how about the install is it something that just takes a few hours in the garage or more involved?
also how about anyone running into problems with knocking or rubbing?
for me the install was kind of a pain but well worth the end result i love mine. i would set aside a good 4-5hrs maybe a bit more.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's an amazing carier. Will EASILY hold a 37 and two jerry cans (if you have that version) — Very stout!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GCM 2 here in Scottsdale runs a 40 on his
Old 11-15-2011, 11:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Yes I do run a 40" spare. Absolutely no issues with the spare, hi-lift, 2x 5gal of fuel at times. No squeaks or rattles. Install took about 4.5-5hrs in my buddy's garage with handle tools, however an 90 degree angle head drill is almost a necessity for one or two holes to be drilled. This is a case of measuring 3 or 4 times to be certain before drilling.

40"s

40"s

35"s with cans and hi-lift

Old 11-16-2011, 03:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Cdyspeed

for me the install was kind of a pain but well worth the end result i love mine. i would set aside a good 4-5hrs maybe a bit more.
+1 Almost 10 hours (one afternoon + one morning) for me doing it alone. However, I measured four to five times and did several dry fits before drilling anything. ;-)

No rattles, very solid, but terrible finish. Already rusting in a few spots after only about a month that I installed, and I only got some Seattle rain. So, be ready for some spray paint from time to time.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:57 AM
JK Super Freak

I love this tire carrier! It is top notch. Any chance I get to recomend anything OR-Fab is awesome, great company and even better people.
Click image for larger version

Name:	tirecarrier.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	237543
And thanks to GCM2 I know if for any reason I decide other than 35's I will be set with this tire carrier.
Her is OR-Fab's green monster with 38's or 40's not sure what size
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11773.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	237545
Old 11-16-2011, 05:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
No rattles, very solid, but terrible finish. Already rusting in a few spots after only about a month that I installed, and I only got some Seattle rain. So, be ready for some spray paint from time to time.
I preemptively took care of this on mine. Scuffed the powdercoat after only a few days from when I installed it, and then sprayed it with 2-3 coats of self-etching primer, and then another 2-3 coats of Duplicolor Bedliner. (I just think of the powdercoat as a really thick base coat for paint.) Hoping that that will help with the rust issue before it even happens. I'm also going to put a little silicone in all of the open holes to keep the water out.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have the Rotopax style carrier?
I'm wondering if the carrier is different from the Gerry Can model.
Would the carrier ride closer to the body for the Rotopax version?
Anyone notice the cost difference? Yikes!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by texwillys
Does anyone have the Rotopax style carrier?
I'm wondering if the carrier is different from the Gerry Can model.
Would the carrier ride closer to the body for the Rotopax version?
Anyone notice the cost difference? Yikes!
I looked into that one originally but the price was insane. It does ride closer to the body but IMO it ain't worth the price, besides atleast with the gerry cans you can carry more fuel!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Southern Girl
I looked into that one originally but the price was insane. It does ride closer to the body but IMO it ain't worth the price, besides atleast with the gerry cans you can carry more fuel!
Exactly why I bought the Gerry Can one, now I just gotta order some Gerry cans LOL, although ill probably never use them for my Jeep, they will mostly be used when I got jetskiing.

Quick Reply: OR-Fab swing away tire carrier