Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Or-Fab Carrier prone to rust?

Old 11-12-2010, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Or-Fab Carrier prone to rust?

Just wondering if any of you guys with the Or-Fab tire carriers (in the wrinkle black finish) found that they rusted rather quickly. I'm planning on putting one on in the spring and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to throw a coat of Raptor Liner on it before the install to prevent potential rust problems.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gimp_dkd
Just wondering if any of you guys with the Or-Fab tire carriers (in the wrinkle black finish) found that they rusted rather quickly. I'm planning on putting one on in the spring and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to throw a coat of Raptor Liner on it before the install to prevent potential rust problems.

Thanks in advance.
I bed lined mine and its been great so far. The only thing that is showing signs of rust are the spacers at the hinge. I will be fixing that this weekend
Old 11-13-2010, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. One more question, did you have to do much in the way of prepping the carrier before you bed lined it?
Old 11-13-2010, 09:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have similar rust issues with the spacers at the hinge. Overall the carrier is nice, but the rusty hinges look like crap. I have been too lazy to take it off and paint them. No other issues with it other than the difficult install.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Junkie

Ive had the orfab in the wrinkle black for over 2 years. The carrier itself has very minimal rust.. basically its only rusting where I chipped the powder coat. The hinge bracket is another story.. after the first winter, the powder coat started flaking and falling off.. Or-fab offered to send me a new one, but I didnt want to tear it off again. I just cleaned it up and hit it with some rustoleum. Other then the powder coat issue, the carrier has held up great. No rattles or sagging.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do you guys think it would be wiser to buy it in the gloss black finish, sand/prep it and coat it with a bedliner rather then bedline over the existing powdercoat?
Old 11-13-2010, 12:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by gimp_dkd
Thanks for the reply. One more question, did you have to do much in the way of prepping the carrier before you bed lined it?
No i didn't do any prep. pulled it out of the box cleaned it with soap and water. after it dried I started spraying.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deton8dJK
No i didn't do any prep. pulled it out of the box cleaned it with soap and water. after it dried I started spraying.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Or-Fab Carrier prone to rust?