Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OR FAB Carrier + Cargo Basket

Old 06-27-2012, 03:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertRat_Rubi08
Thanks OH9JK that's the plan but I am having a hellofa time finding something that will mount above the tire and fasten to the OR FAB. Maybe no OR FAB Owners have one?? Must be all the four doors I could put in my hitch extender but plan on using that for my Mtn. Bike Carrier. Maybe a dual receiver??
I doubt there are any off the shelf cargo carriers that would work without some modification.

I have seen some guys install a receiver on the FRONT of their Jeep and run the cargo carrier up there. Just a thought
Old 06-27-2012, 06:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Noxian

Those bike racks are all limited to tire sizes of 32" I checked :(

Not really. The ones I saw fit easily on bigger tires. Here's one.

h t t p ://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;jsessionid=95772BD7C071FA7CE98EEC9E8D8DF23 9#ip/Allen-Model-303DB-Deluxe-Spare-Tire-Mounted-3-Bike-Carrier/13070210

Added some spaces to kill the direct link. But I'm sure Yakima and Thule also have a similar solution. I tested and it worked fine on my 33. Plenty space for a 35.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
I simply use a hitch extender for a hitch mounted cargo carrier for extra gear.

Attachment 334391

EDIT: Just realized you plan to carry bikes with your hitch. My bad. What are you trying to utilize the carrier for exactly? Bags? Fuel?
I think I just bought that same rack -
Heading to Cali for two weeks with my daughter to spend time with the family, and hit the rubicon (in my 2dr rubi), so space is valuable and with the
amount of gear I'm bringing, the bikes, a cargo rack would just really help out IMO. I'll put the fuel in the rotopax.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OH9JK
I doubt there are any off the shelf cargo carriers that would work without some modification.

I have seen some guys install a receiver on the FRONT of their Jeep and run the cargo carrier up there. Just a thought
I think you nailed it - dropping the Jeep at the mechanics this morning for some new goodies so I'll ask when I'm there. Has to be a way..
Old 06-28-2012, 06:26 AM
JK Newbie

Knuckles offroad makes a stock carrier delete plate which can hold rotopax and has a receiver. They have a basket coming out for it but I have no idea if it will fit with the OR Fab carrier. I have the plate coming for my rotopax switch and will be talking to the owner about a basket which fits my OR Fab carrier.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

This may be redneck, but couldn't you get a basket and ratchet strap it to the top bar on the carrier from the front and ratchet the back of the basket to the bottom of the carrier? It seems like that should hold stuff...
Old 06-28-2012, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ryanralston07
This may be redneck, but couldn't you get a basket and ratchet strap it to the top bar on the carrier from the front and ratchet the back of the basket to the bottom of the carrier? It seems like that should hold stuff...
lol that is so redneck...Classic. I am not sure I can pull up to the Rubicon with the possibility of tossing my lunch (literally if i Put the cooler up there). I will probably end up
having something fab'd up and welded on. I'm sure it'll be cake to anyone with the welding skills. If anyone has pics of custom baskets for idea's that'd be cool
Old 06-28-2012, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by albg
Knuckles offroad makes a stock carrier delete plate which can hold rotopax and has a receiver. They have a basket coming out for it but I have no idea if it will fit with the OR Fab carrier. I have the plate coming for my rotopax switch and will be talking to the owner about a basket which fits my OR Fab carrier.
Nice! Now that's what I'm interested in seeing albg.. If by chance you do get this done please post pics. I'll check Knuckles too.

Quick Reply: OR FAB Carrier + Cargo Basket