Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Extra fuel

Old 10-20-2011, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Side note...... I work on locations in Los Angeles in Private homes, beaches deserts, hills, etc. We use Generators. The fire Marshals frequent our jobs and are in some cases are required to be there all day, It is now illegal to have a plastic Gas cans on any Motion picture or Photo set in Los Angeles County...
I can't figure out the reasoning, We had one marshal make us put all the fuel into vehicles or remove it from set. He said it would melt in a fire... WTF, i would rather have it melt and burn than be metal and heat up and boil until BOOM!!! What are ya gona do????
Old 10-20-2011, 06:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by azrwilkinson
I saw someone with their JK Ratchet strap the Jerrycan to their spare tire. Seemed like it would work.
any one got an idea of how to do that SAFE
Old 10-20-2011, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Seems like you could do a plywood cutout and attach the straps to the plywood with some type of bolt system. Maybe build an angle bracket out of aluminum to hold the base of the can and then attach it to the spare with the straps.

Rotopax makes a spare tire mount for the JK specifically for the 3gal fuel containers if you want to spend the cash.

jfg
Old 10-20-2011, 06:26 AM
JK Freak

I use military issue NATO cans. Got them for dirt cheap at a government DRMO sale. Also snagged some water cans. Think I paif 5 bucks each and they're made of heavy duty plastic.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

Slob
I got nothing to due today and some spare metal laying around... I will make you this to hook on your spare. Then just run a ratchet strap around the can thru the spare. if you pay shipping
Click image for larger version

Name:	img117.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	226044

Last edited by broccoli2; 10-20-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hagausaf
I use military issue NATO cans. Got them for dirt cheap at a government DRMO sale. Also snagged some water cans. Think I paif 5 bucks each and they're made of heavy duty plastic.
I do the same thing. As it was explained to me, the fuel cans sell so cheap because they are not carb compliant. Therefor cannot be sold to various agencies and states.... $5 seems to be the going rate...
Old 10-20-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by broccoli2
Slob
I got nothing to due today and some spare metal laying around... I will make you this to hook on your spare. Then just run a ratchet strap around the can thru the spare. if you pay shipping
Attachment 226044
Your a genious! But sorry I got a friend who works in a steel shop and owes me a favor or two. Thanks for the idea. I will take pictures and compare notes
Old 10-20-2011, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Cool, that will cost a lot less in shipping....
Hey i was thinking make sure the guy puts the rear hangers in the back so the "can" doesn't rub your rim.. The tire side walls should keep the straight up rights away from the rim
Good luck and look forward to the pic's
Click image for larger version

Name:	img120.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	226049
Old 10-20-2011, 07:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by broccoli2
Slob
Attachment 226044
That is a great idea and design! Nice to have it only when you need it, and take it off when you don't.

Quick Reply: Extra fuel