Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Extra driving light - KC

Old 05-03-2007, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra driving light - KC

Hi,

I saw a couple pic (one from Quadratec catalog - 2007 bonus edition page 76) where they mount 2 KC lights (Rally 800) on the stock bumper (with no light bar), right above the factory fog lights cut out. Anybody know how is this mounting work? i'm really interested in this..i think it looks better than with the light bar.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 05-04-2007, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nobody knows how to do this??
Old 05-04-2007, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

My 2 cents...

While I haven't seen it, it might be as easy as drilling a hole through the bumper above each fog light and affixing the nuts to the bolts from the inside. After that, wiring should be a piece of cake.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

The plastic bumper cover is fairly thick at about 3/4" and doesn't seem to set snug against the top of the inner steel bumper. My fingers tell me there is a gap of about 1/8" between, but i may be wron as this just may be a chamfered edge.

What I would do is this:

1) Find out what size the threaded stud is on the light.
2) Either buy or make a pair of standoffs with the same internal thread size of the light stud. About 1" in length should clear the plastic bumper. Also buy 2 bolts that will thread into the standoffs, and with them get flat washers and lock washers. Make sure the bolts are long enough to go through the washers and inner steel bumper with enough thread left over to screw into the standoff about half way or maybe a little less.
3) Drill mounting holes in the plastic portion ONLY the OD size of the standoffs from step 2.
4) Drill the steel inner bumper to match the size of the bolts from step 2.
5) Thread the standoff onto the light, put the assembly into the hole in the plastic bumper until it rests on the inner steel bumper. If the standoffs fall all the way through you messed up.
6) Thread the bolts with washers attached into the standoff from undreneath the bumper.

What you should have now is a mount that goes through the plastic and ties into the steel inner bumper. Choose the drill location carefully, leave some ED (edge distance) from the back edge of the inner steel bumper.

All that's left now is aiming, tightening and wiring.

The standoff could be made from 1" aluminum roundbar, I think that would look pretty sharp, especially if anodized black or the same color as the Jeep.....
Old 05-04-2007, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks a lot John L. THat seems somewhat overwhelming for me since i've never done anything like this before, but i'll try to chew on this a bit longer, and see if i can tackle this next weekend.

Again, thanks for the input
Old 05-04-2007, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

just went out to take a look at the bumper, and i think your explanation there make sense. I'll try to tackle this in the next week or so
Old 05-04-2007, 02:05 PM
JK Freak

don't come back with your bumper looking like swiss cheeze
Old 05-04-2007, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by possumface
don't come back with your bumper looking like swiss cheeze
well...that will give me a reason to get an aftermarket one
Old 05-05-2007, 03:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

The Procomp light bar mounts the exact way I described above, it just has a bar connecting the "standoffs".

Look at this thread on the install.

Quick Reply: Extra driving light - KC