Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

extending breather tubes

Old 10-12-2009, 09:04 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by stevedolce
hmmm--

according to the RR website, these tubes funnel into the airbox..does that mean your fluids will collect there? or am i totally off base?
if they are routing their breathers into the air box, yes, if you were to accidentally overfill your diff (which can and does happen all the time), your gear oil will collect in there. of course, it is totally unnecessary to route your breathers into the air box - you just need them a bit longer or rerouted so that they don't pull out of your axle when flexing.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:06 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by BBirish
not here on the east coast raise all your breathers. you can still suck in water into the transmission or tcase if you dont raise them
right, out here in socal, we hardly see any rain let alone water deep enough to submerge our tranny or t-case breathers.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Od/id

hey WOL - i've seen posts for 5/16, 1/4 and now 3/8 ID for the breather hose extensions - realize you can buy adapters to marry different sized tubing - but what is the stock differential tubing ID? what type of hose is this - is it necessary to buy fuel line for gear oil, or will any auto-hose work?

thanks!!

Originally Posted by wayoflife
$45 for some hose and a couple of fitting?? are you kidding me???

the only breather you need to extend are the ones for your axles so that they don't pull out when you have a lift and are flexing on the trail. the hose can be picked up for about $5 at your local parts store and the fittings can be had for about a buck a piece or less. in fact, i just used a plastic emmissions control fitting and it was under a buck.

of course, you can always re-route your breather to another location and that will do the trick as well.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:34 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by 69thunderbird
hey WOL - i've seen posts for 5/16, 1/4 and now 3/8 ID for the breather hose extensions - realize you can buy adapters to marry different sized tubing - but what is the stock differential tubing ID? what type of hose is this - is it necessary to buy fuel line for gear oil, or will any auto-hose work?

thanks!!
it may not be necessary but i decided to use a 1/4" fuel line that came pre-packaged in a 2 ft length. i believe the actual breather hose is 5/16" but i don't think the fraction of an inch will make a difference. as far as the connector goes, i used one that is multi-step so it would work on both ends for sure. yes, it is plastic but, so is the breather end cap.

Last edited by wayoflife; 10-12-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:31 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used 5/16" heter hose and i got some plastic vaccum fittings and extended them. front one goes up to fire wall top edge behind brake master cyl. rear one i ran up to the " secret compartment" behing right tail light. no problems yet. just reused factory vent valve on stock vent.prob easiest thing i done. take your stock vent valve(white) off and take to parts store wht you. match up dia.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:28 PM
JK-Forum Founder

okay, just did a quick write-up for ya. hope it helps you out....

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...hose-extension

Old 10-24-2009, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

OK....I am doing this now. What is the "2 breathers in front 1 in rear???" I have removed (redoing whole line) one on the rear diff and one on the front......thats all I see. What else is in the front? Quick help please as I am doing it now.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:04 AM
JK Jedi Master

transfer case breather??
Old 10-24-2009, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was me in the photo above...

The rear diff is sitting on top of the frame rail on the passenger side.. the front diff is sitting at the stop of the shock tower drivers side..

Transfer case and trans are a PITA to get to.. transfer case is in between the engine and firewall towards the drivers side.

Transmission is the worst.. I removed the passenger wheel liner to gain access, its attached to a bracket near the transmission dip stick tube.. make sure your engine is cool or you will burn yourself.

Good luck. and I used I think 5/16" hose (bought 20') routed everything toward the top of the engine compartment then looped them facing downward.. that way IF they submerge underwater, Im hoping the air in the tube will block water from entering.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm thankful for the peoples that shared this info with me before I did mine...

If you want to leave the t-case or tranny lines in place & route new 5/16 you'll need to get new check valves. they're a couple bucks from dealer.

Mopar part # J5352955

Just be careful when routing new hose in the engine area to avoid anything that might melt 'em... um, so I've, um heard.

Quick Reply: extending breather tubes