Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

extending breather tubes

Old 10-09-2009, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extending breather tubes

i cant seem to find a write up on extending breather tubes, any help with what i need to do it? size tubing etc.....
thanks
Old 10-09-2009, 03:36 PM
JK Junkie

If I remember correctly, 3/8" tube... I just bought a universal double male to connect a 9" section of hose to the main hose.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Extentions

I used 3/8 double barbed brass couplings and stainless hose clamps with that clear tubing(1/2 OD_ 3/8 ID) that has white reinforcing thread running through it ,all available in the H. D. plumbing section, extended the rear axle tube up the wheelwell to behind the pass. side tailight (you need to remove taillight) reusing the stock vent cap and securing w/ a zip tie. In the front the tube is extended up along the drivers side shock tower into the engine compartment next to the ECU and brakeline manifold reusing the stock vent cap and securing w/ a zip tie. Tranny and transfer case come up the firewall in the engine compartment.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the advice, ive seen both 3/8 and 5/16 as what to you, im picked up both, haha going to try this week
Old 10-12-2009, 04:36 AM
JK Freak

River Raiders actually sell a JK Breather Extender kit that has everything... I just picked it up as they sponsored one of our local events and am installing it this upcoming weekend.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep us posted on the install..i'm thinking about spending the 45 bucks to get the kit..

lemme ask this--i THOUGHT i saw somewhere if you overfill your diffs the fluid will burp up thru the breather tube? am i crazy??
Old 10-12-2009, 08:37 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by stevedolce
keep us posted on the install..i'm thinking about spending the 45 bucks to get the kit..

lemme ask this--i THOUGHT i saw somewhere if you overfill your diffs the fluid will burp up thru the breather tube? am i crazy??
you can buy hose for half the cost from napa

yes if you over fill your diff, it will blow out the breather
Old 10-12-2009, 08:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm--

according to the RR website, these tubes funnel into the airbox..does that mean your fluids will collect there? or am i totally off base?
Old 10-12-2009, 09:00 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

$45 for some hose and a couple of fitting?? are you kidding me???

the only breather you need to extend are the ones for your axles so that they don't pull out when you have a lift and are flexing on the trail. the hose can be picked up for about $5 at your local parts store and the fittings can be had for about a buck a piece or less. in fact, i just used a plastic emmissions control fitting and it was under a buck.

of course, you can always re-route your breather to another location and that will do the trick as well.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
$45 for some hose and a couple of fitting?? are you kidding me???

the only breather you need to extend are the ones for your axles so that they don't pull out when you have a lift and are flexing on the trail. the hose can be picked up for about $5 at your local parts store and the fittings can be had for about a buck a piece or less. in fact, i just used a plastic emmissions control fitting and it was under a buck.

of course, you can always re-route your breather to another location and that will do the trick as well.
not here on the east coast raise all your breathers. you can still suck in water into the transmission or tcase if you dont raise them.....

wouldnt want this to happen to you...

Attachment 31494
Attachment 31493

Last edited by BBirish; 10-12-2009 at 09:06 AM.

Quick Reply: extending breather tubes