Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Extended thread lugnuts needed?

Old 06-30-2013, 12:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended thread lugnuts needed?

I have Mickey Thompson Classic IIs with 285 70 17s that are having some balancing issues. While getting the fronts rebalanced, I was told that some of my vibration might be due to having the wrong lugnuts. They said I should be running extended thread lugnuts due to the thickness of the wheel hub.

I currently have 1/2 x 20 bulge acorn nuts with the standard 60 degree conical angle. Since I was told this over the weekend I have been unable to contact Mickey Thompson to ask them.

Quadratec and others recommend the 60 degree acorn nuts when you look at wheels on their sites.

Does anyone run extended thread lugnuts with these wheels?
Old 06-30-2013, 04:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took off one lugnut then counted the number of turns to thread it back on and torque it to spec. I counted 11.5 turns.

I'm not quite sure what is required but it appears to be threading onto about 3/4 inch worth of wheel stud.

Quick Reply: Extended thread lugnuts needed?