Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

explain to me - spacer VS coil lift

Old 05-08-2009, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default explain to me - spacer VS coil lift

For example: the teraflex 2.5-inch spacer lift with shocke versus the teraflex 2.5-inch coil lift with shocks

What advantages does the coil lift have over the spacer lift? Why would it be better to go with the coil lift?
Old 05-08-2009, 07:56 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went with a spacer lift first. I got in a hurry and wanted something "NOW" and jumped the gun. This is just my personal opinion, so take that for what it's worth. I prefer spring lifts because, ultimately, they are the correct way to raise a vehicle. I saw people talking about how you cannot feel the difference with a spacer lift. I ceretainly could. I didn't particularly care for how it made my Jeep ride. A bit harsh hitting bumps and I felt like I could "feel" every bump in the road. I had some trouble with rear spacers slipping, so, I made the decision to step up to the Teraflex 2.5" coil lift. I am glad I did. Still rides just a tad more firm than stock, but in a good way. Got more lift, too. More like 3.25" in the front and 2.75 in the rear. Makes the Jeep hamdle better because theres less sway around corners. Please understand I am not slamming spacer lifts by any means. There are some fine spacer kits on the market, I am sure. It is just "MY" personal opinion if you go with a spacer lift, you could regret it later on and wish you had gone with a spring lift. I did. That being said, a spacer lift may be all you'll ever need or want. Why don't you try to hook up with a forum member kinda close by with each kind and see if they'll let you ride and or drive theirs before you decide?
Old 05-08-2009, 08:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I went with a spacer lift first. I got in a hurry and wanted something "NOW" and jumped the gun. This is just my personal opinion, so take that for what it's worth. I prefer spring lifts because, ultimately, they are the correct way to raise a vehicle. I saw people talking about how you cannot feel the difference with a spacer lift. I ceretainly could. I didn't particularly care for how it made my Jeep ride. A bit harsh hitting bumps and I felt like I could "feel" every bump in the road. I had some trouble with rear spacers slipping, so, I made the decision to step up to the Teraflex 2.5" coil lift. I am glad I did. Still rides just a tad more firm than stock, but in a good way. Got more lift, too. More like 3.25" in the front and 2.75 in the rear. Makes the Jeep hamdle better because theres less sway around corners. Please understand I am not slamming spacer lifts by any means. There are some fine spacer kits on the market, I am sure. It is just "MY" personal opinion if you go with a spacer lift, you could regret it later on and wish you had gone with a spring lift. I did. That being said, a spacer lift may be all you'll ever need or want. Why don't you try to hook up with a forum member kinda close by with each kind and see if they'll let you ride and or drive theirs before you decide?
i feel bad for you having to write the fine print (IMO) in all your quotes these days. too many people jump down your throat for your posts and shouldnt have to jusitfy anything. sorry for the hijack back to the subject.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by geebee
i feel bad for you having to write the fine print (IMO) in all your quotes these days. too many people jump down your throat for your posts and shouldnt have to jusitfy anything. sorry for the hijack back to the subject.
Interesting observation. I've never thought about it like that.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Alot of folks on here start off with a bb and slightly larger tires and then they realize that they actually want 35s or 37s , I fell victim to this as well, IMHO I would just skip over the bb and go with a coil lift and save some money.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

spacer lifts are the quick and inexpensive way to lift vehicles.
spacer pucks only raise your vehicle because it puts a puck in between the frame and the top of the coil. our stock coils were not meant for this but CAN handle it. however, the spacer lift does not delivery the comfortability. in doing a spcaer lift, that puck actually compresses that stock coil making for a rougher ride. add in the weight from the bigger tires and you will see that this excess strain on the stock suspension system will not make for a comfortable ride when lifting the vehicle to clear for the larger tires.
i would have to say that doing a coil lift is the right way to lift a vehicle and that way those new coils and shocks are used exactly what they were made for. they are heavy duty and can handle the extra weight of larger tires which in tern should delivery a more comfortable ride and better performance.
Budget Boosts are not all that bad because they are in expensive. but to do it right i would recommend a coil lift.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:37 PM
sme
JK Enthusiast

notice the difference in the coils.

These are the rear coils with the new one on the left. The new one is wrapped tighter and is a progressive coil. It is designed to handle a heavier load.

Trending Topics

Old 05-08-2009, 09:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some people may get a harsher ride when adding a spacer lift on top of a coil lift but in my opinion it depends on what kind of coil lift you're working with. I have a 1.75" spacer on top of my 6" teraflex long arm kit and I attest that it rides 1000% better than a stock Rubcion and better than any other lifted JK I've ever ridden in (and there's been at lest 6).

If you have matched components along with a quality kit, some of the imperfections, if any, that the spacer brings out can be offset. This may not be the case when replacing just the coils and not the control arms along with the spacer and/or you're using an inexpensive coil kit.

I've ridden in scottg07's Rubicon that has the same 6" longarm kit as mine but with no spacer and I can't tell the difference between the two. Then again it wasn't on pavement but rather off-road....but then again still, off-road miles make up a majority of what I've driven the Jeep through so far.

Quick Reply: explain to me - spacer VS coil lift