Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Experience with MBRP spare tire bracket reinforcing kit needed

Old 06-18-2012, 12:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, finally installed the Tailgate reinforcement kit....the spot welded nuts took a little work to get off....nothing a Grade 8 bolt and a hammer couldnt take care of. The install took me about an hour. I am glad I pulled the trigger on it....the nuts that were holding on my heavy spare tire were not very big. Now I am good to go until I purchase a new rear bumper and tire carrier.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OzzyPotter
Go to the hardware store when you get the kit and buy 12 M8 bolts before starting. It will take you at least 6 to get the 8 off without fear of stripping, breaking, or royally screwing up an otherwise easy install.

Please heed these warnings. It will cost you $9 at Lowes to buy 6 packs of 2. It took me 30 minutes to realize the crap that they sent was crap. Save 30 minutes of crap...
Just installed this kit today. If I didn't use this advice I'dve been making a trip to the hardware store after the 2nd bolt. DEFINITELY GET SOME EXTRA. I can't imagine you can do this with your hands, I used a hammer. It was a lot easier than I was expecting based on some of the reviews, but I bent 5 or 6 bolts in the process.

Once I thread the nut (just turned it a few times... not too tight), I used a dish towel... wrapped it around the bolt a few times to absorb some of the force and to avoid metal on metal... then a few solid whacks with a hammer from a couple different angles. Weld nuts cracked easily and it was a piece of cake after that.

Happy with the $28 kit. Seems more sturdy than before and hoping I won't have to throw on a new tire carrier any time soon. I have 35's on a 17" wheel. Tires alone weight 69lbs. Much more confident that it's not going anywhere now.

Quick Reply: Experience with MBRP spare tire bracket reinforcing kit needed