Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Experience with MBRP spare tire bracket reinforcing kit needed

Old 09-15-2010, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a grade 8 bolt...

It may be just my bad luck, but I would recommend getting a grade 8 or better bolt to break the welds with. The little zinc plated BS bolt they send broke off flush with my tailgate and caused a headache. They even say in the instructions to be careful and not break the bolt. If this is the case, why not just send a stronger bolt to begin with? Other than that, I'm happy with mine.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by hayden911
It may be just my bad luck, but I would recommend getting a grade 8 or better bolt to break the welds with. The little zinc plated BS bolt they send broke off flush with my tailgate and caused a headache. They even say in the instructions to be careful and not break the bolt. If this is the case, why not just send a stronger bolt to begin with? Other than that, I'm happy with mine.
So how did you end up getting the nut off when the bolt broke? because I am having the same problem and do not know how to get it off
Old 10-17-2010, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

I broke both of the bolts that came with the kit on the first 3 nuts. Picked up a grade 8 at Tractor Supply and was able to take care of the rest with just the one grade 8, although it was a shorter bolt.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by _J__C_
Yeah. My wheel is 4.5 backspacing so I know my tire won't touch the factory bump stops , so I ordered the longer ones the same time I ordered the brackets. I read a thread somewhere here that said part of the problem is not having the spare tightened against them, which causes a lot more vibration and bouncing - in turn tearing up the tailgate. Now I'd just like to know how much my tire weighs so I know what kind of stress I'll be putting on the tailgate. It's a Maxxis Big horn 305/70-17 (34"), and ProComp 7189's.
what bump stops did you order and from where
Old 11-16-2010, 05:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the OP's questions seem to have been answered, but I'll still share my experience.

I've got the MBRP strengthening kit and the MBRP tire carrier extension bracket installed on my JK. I've had a 35X12.5R17 Toyo Open Country MT (the heaviest 35" MT out there) hanging from it for eight months of 60 miles a day commuting and frequent wheeling - including a trip to Moab. So far so good. I will eventually replace it with a rear bumper/tire carrier combo. but it's working okay for now. No rattle,s bumps, clunks, or squeaks.

My only complaint is that I've got some big paws, and I ended up leaving a goodly amount of skin behind on the inside of the tailgate.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone have experience with this setup using a stock 17 inch wheel and a 315 71R17 tire? I just order the reinforcing kit, bumpstops, and relocation bracket. Will I even need the bumpstops?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Skywalker
what bump stops did you order and from where
Daystar is what I use. You can get them from most 4wd sites.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go to the hardware store when you get the kit and buy 12 M8 bolts before starting. It will take you at least 6 to get the 8 off without fear of stripping, breaking, or royally screwing up an otherwise easy install.

Please heed these warnings. It will cost you $9 at Lowes to buy 6 packs of 2. It took me 30 minutes to realize the crap that they sent was crap. Save 30 minutes of crap...
Old 09-03-2011, 01:09 AM
JK Freak

Yeah those two little bolts suck.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MBRP Tech 1
Glad to see you got the tire reinforcement kit installed and it is work as intended for you. I think most of the questions have already been answered in this thread but feel free to shoot me any questions anyone may still have.

Steve
I just ordered my tailgate reinforcement kit. I have a 2010 Rubicon. Question is, i am wondering if a CB antenna mount will work with it. The one i currently have doesn't look like it will, but i've been looking at the Rugged Ridge CB antenna mount. I'd just like some piece of mind to know i can re mount my antenna. Thanks

Quick Reply: Experience with MBRP spare tire bracket reinforcing kit needed