Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Experience with MBRP spare tire bracket reinforcing kit needed

Old 02-04-2010, 01:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by _J__C_
Got my brackets in. For me - not as easy as it sounds. I'll wait till spring to try this again. I feel like I'm tryng to flip the jeep via the tailgate to break the tac-welds. I probably won't tear it up, but I tried damn hard to break them off and it didn't happen. And BTW, from what I've read about the tail gate on here, it sounded like a thin layer of sheet metal. It's heavier than it sounds, and there is internal support too (only way I can think to describe it) above and below the rear vent. Also for those that are worried about the brackets and using the clips - those are fine also. I took a pic but it's not available nearby, so if you want to see them I can post them later.
Are you saying you couldn't install the brackets? I was looking at the tailgate and I took my vent out. It is reinforced already inside the tailgate, and I could feel it with my fingers. I wonder if they changed the 2010 tailgates, because it felt solid. I know the shape of the vent was changed, but I wonder what else they changed. With the reinforcement I could see and feel inside, I just don't see how the little brackets and clamps from MBRP are going to make any difference. I wouldn't want to replace a nut with a clamp either. It wont be as strong to torque.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

They're are strong and I'm sure they help distribute the weight. And no, I couldn't get them installed. It's gonna take a little longer than I had first thought. As far as the clips, they are threaded on one side and clip to the bracket so they stay in place, otherwise it would be too hard to reach in and thread a nut on the top and bottom bolts.

Also mine is an '08.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

They're are strong and I'm sure they help distribute the weight. And no, I couldn't get them installed. It's gonna take a little longer than I had first thought. As far as the clips, they are threaded on one side and clip to the bracket so they stay in place, otherwise it would be too hard to reach in and thread a nut on the top and bottom bolts. Also mine is an '08.
Let me know how it goes breaking the nuts off the inside of the gate. I'm thinking the same thing about using the nuts instead of the clips to hold the brackets in place. That way the bracket is directly against the sheet metal for support.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah. My wheel is 4.5 backspacing so I know my tire won't touch the factory bump stops , so I ordered the longer ones the same time I ordered the brackets. I read a thread somewhere here that said part of the problem is not having the spare tightened against them, which causes a lot more vibration and bouncing - in turn tearing up the tailgate. Now I'd just like to know how much my tire weighs so I know what kind of stress I'll be putting on the tailgate. It's a Maxxis Big horn 305/70-17 (34"), and ProComp 7189's.
Just thought I would tell you my weights: The stock weighed in at 60 lbs, and my wheel and tire upgrade weighed 90 lbs. Procomps on the wheel and tire but I think it should be similar to yours.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bazetthound
Let me know how it goes breaking the nuts off the inside of the gate. I'm thinking the same thing about using the nuts instead of the clips to hold the brackets in place. That way the bracket is directly against the sheet metal for support.

When it warms up i'll be able to tell you about installing the brackets, but I don't think you'll be able to fit a hand back there to use nuts instead of the clips, but the clips are strong. And I understand where you're going with trying to have the brackets flush with the sheet metal, but I just don't think theres enough room back there to work.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's the bracket with the clips. Not the best pic ever, it's from my phone.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0291.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	36615  
Old 08-19-2010, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Littlejon
these links are bad now
Old 08-19-2010, 03:25 PM
JK Newbie

just a question for some vendors. Has anybody that makes products for the jeeps explored somehow making, replacing, or upgrading the stock hinges on the rear door? Just an idea, because i have noticed the majority of people not wanting to spend $1500 bucks on a bumper/tire carrier. But still want that big tire and wheel on the back. If there was upgradable hinges and this tire bracket kit, I think alot of people would probably go that route. Just me speaking, but i would jump all over it. *Note* I don't have a clue of how the hinges are made or set up, and i haven't even looked at them. So bare with my retardness if you can't even get to the hinges.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Originally Posted by chrisrennison21
just a question for some vendors. Has anybody that makes products for the jeeps explored somehow making, replacing, or upgrading the stock hinges on the rear door? Just an idea, because i have noticed the majority of people not wanting to spend $1500 bucks on a bumper/tire carrier. But still want that big tire and wheel on the back. If there was upgradable hinges and this tire bracket kit, I think alot of people would probably go that route. Just me speaking, but i would jump all over it. *Note* I don't have a clue of how the hinges are made or set up, and i haven't even looked at them. So bare with my retardness if you can't even get to the hinges.
There is more than just one issue surrounding the tailgate and spare tire on these JK's. the spot welds along the inside of the door that hold the hinge to the door are a weak point...Eventually the spot welds will pull through the sheet metal. Also, where the hinges mount to the body of the Jeep. While this is pretty strong, it is still only sheet metal. Lastly, the tailgate itself is only a little thicker than a pop can. These tailgates probably would still get damaged running a factory wheel and oversize tire. The real solution to running a 33"+ tire is to use a tire carrier.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have had mine installed for about 3-4 months now and it has worked great. I wheel probably at least once a month on average and it has held tight with no problems to the welds or the hinges. The install on mine wasn't that bad either.

Quick Reply: Experience with MBRP spare tire bracket reinforcing kit needed