Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Experience with MBRP spare tire bracket reinforcing kit needed

Old 10-12-2009, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a link to their website with the instructions and pictures, I have been searching it for 30 minutes now with no luck of finding it.
-david
Old 10-12-2009, 05:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tire relocation bracket

http://www.mbrp.com/?page=products&p...0718&make=Jeep

Spare tire strengthening bracket

http://www.mbrp.com/?page=products&p...0903&make=Jeep
Old 11-03-2009, 03:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just put them in today. The bolts that are tac welded behind the gate can be a bit tough. I don't know about the other's, but each of the eight nuts were welded 6 times/nut. It took some doing to "wiggle" them off. Once off, very easy to install the rest of the kit. I'd like to see some torque settings for the bolts. I was told to just tighten them down.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think MBRP should make a hinge upgrade kit too... then I'd buy the 2 kits together.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

This entire time I've read throughout the forum I was thinking the weak link and tack welds that were going out with an oversized tire on the stock tailgate was at the hinges! But apparently other members have stated that the hindges are strong and it the squared tire carrier area

So does this sound right.....Until I can afford a rear bumper and carrier, I can get this to reinforce the carrier area, and just limit the amount that I open and close the tailgate to prolong the tailgate hinges?

which do you all think is better until then?

the smittybilt oversized tire carrier:

quadratec.com/products/22202_2001_07.htm

Or these reinforcing brackets?

I guess they both have the same concept of redistribution of the weight, but the smittybilt ones says it has adjustable arms. I wonder of those arms are used to lower the tire to rest on the rear bumper.

Dang, I just need to break down and get a bumper/carrier

Last edited by sclan; 01-22-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just ordered the MBRP support bracket today. If it installs without problems I can mount my spare soon too!
Old 01-22-2010, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by _J__C_
I just ordered the MBRP support bracket today. If it installs without problems I can mount my spare soon too!
Will you be mounting your spare tight against the tailgate stops? Judging by the photos, the MBRP guys aren't using their tailgate stops. I wonder how long will that last?
Old 01-23-2010, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah. My wheel is 4.5 backspacing so I know my tire won't touch the factory bump stops , so I ordered the longer ones the same time I ordered the brackets. I read a thread somewhere here that said part of the problem is not having the spare tightened against them, which causes a lot more vibration and bouncing - in turn tearing up the tailgate. Now I'd just like to know how much my tire weighs so I know what kind of stress I'll be putting on the tailgate. It's a Maxxis Big horn 305/70-17 (34"), and ProComp 7189's.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:24 PM
JK Freak

Would I also need a relocation bracket if my wheels have 4" backspacing, i dont know why I would want it to stick out even further??
Old 02-03-2010, 10:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got my brackets in. For me - not as easy as it sounds. I'll wait till spring to try this again. I feel like I'm tryng to flip the jeep via the tailgate to break the tac-welds. I probably won't tear it up, but I tried damn hard to break them off and it didn't happen. And BTW, from what I've read about the tail gate on here, it sounded like a thin layer of sheet metal. It's heavier than it sounds, and there is internal support too (only way I can think to describe it) above and below the rear vent.

Also for those that are worried about the brackets and using the clips - those are fine also. I took a pic but it's not available nearby, so if you want to see them I can post them later.

Quick Reply: Experience with MBRP spare tire bracket reinforcing kit needed