Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Experience with MBRP spare tire bracket reinforcing kit needed

Old 09-01-2009, 05:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so all that does is take stress off the sheet metal that the tire carried is attached too.... I mean that isn't the biggest problem.. the tailgate hinges are the issue.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greenamphibious
ok so all that does is take stress off the sheet metal that the tire carried is attached too.... I mean that isn't the biggest problem.. the tailgate hinges are the issue.
From what I understand they are both the issue... the metal where the tire carrier connects can warp from the added weight of a larger wheel. I'm still concerned about the hinges... hoping the manufacturer and people who have mounted 35's w/ this kit can give me some idea as to whether the hinge itself can withstand the added weight while doing moderate wheeling.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fadeout
I just installed it about 6 hours ago and I'm only running a 33" on it as of now. It reinforces from the inside, you have to crack off the spot welds on the bolts then install the metal reinforcing brackets making it a ton stronger than it was. I read somewhere on here that MBRP was running a 35 on it for some time with no problems at all. Hopefully they'll be able to answer on this better than I can. I just didnt have the cash for a rear bumper right now and just wanted some peace of mind about the larger/heavier tire being on there all the time.
I have seen some posts on the forum, I think in reference to folks using spare tire-mounted bike carriers, in which the welds seen on the tailgate interior surface start to degrade. Would the MBRP product help against this issue? I would be worried as much about this as I would hinge failure. I ask this because I can't find any details/instructions on kit install.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:21 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Originally Posted by Curiosity
Would you say the kit will reinforce the tire carrier enough (with a 35" on it) to do moderate wheeling without removing the spare? have you seen any damage to the rear door hinge from the 35" hanging off it?
Our JK's have 35's and 37's and we have had no issue what so ever...The hinges have not been a problem for us. It all depends on what you use the Jeep for. Doing high speeds on washboard roads will no doubt wear out the tire carrier quickly, and everything else that moves on the Jeep...Wheeling does not seem to hinder our set-up. I have personally used the spare as a step to get onto our roof rack even. No concerns...
Old 09-03-2009, 05:21 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Originally Posted by fadeout
Q-tec has it, it's $31 bucks... http://www.quadratec.com/products/22202_1001.htm
Thanks for posting the link...they should be able to get you guys set up from now on...
Old 09-03-2009, 05:22 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Originally Posted by greenamphibious
I have not personally seen the hinges fail...it may be the next weakest link though. Does anyone have any pictures of hinge failure?
Old 09-03-2009, 05:23 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Originally Posted by Curiosity
From what I understand they are both the issue... the metal where the tire carrier connects can warp from the added weight of a larger wheel. I'm still concerned about the hinges... hoping the manufacturer and people who have mounted 35's w/ this kit can give me some idea as to whether the hinge itself can withstand the added weight while doing moderate wheeling.
My post above explains we have had no issue running 35's and 37's with our kit and relocation bracket.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:25 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Originally Posted by redrunner
I have seen some posts on the forum, I think in reference to folks using spare tire-mounted bike carriers, in which the welds seen on the tailgate interior surface start to degrade. Would the MBRP product help against this issue? I would be worried as much about this as I would hinge failure. I ask this because I can't find any details/instructions on kit install.
Bike carriers may cause more issue because of the distance they hang away from the jeep. More leverage, means more stress...The closer you can hold it to the tailgate, the less movement and stress that could be caused.

I will see about getting the install instructions up on our web page.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:51 AM
JK Junkie

I will agree with MBRP as I have has a 35" hanging off the back and I contacted the ground with it very very hard. hard enough to warp the entire tail gate so it no longer sits flush on the bottom (it sticks out about a 1/4" from the body) and all the sheet metal is buckled around the hinges both inside and out side. BUT the hinges work great the door closes perfect and does not bind even the slightest. I am going to say the hinges are not the problem with carrying the spare it is the structure of the tailgate. If MBRP can up the strength then this is something I am going to look into....... hopefully my tailgate isnt too tweaked to instal this product.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MBRP Tech 1
Bike carriers may cause more issue because of the distance they hang away from the jeep. More leverage, means more stress...The closer you can hold it to the tailgate, the less movement and stress that could be caused.

I will see about getting the install instructions up on our web page.
Thanks, I think instructions would allow me to better understand the strengthening.

Quick Reply: Experience with MBRP spare tire bracket reinforcing kit needed