Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Expedition setup lift and tires?

Old 04-09-2015, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
Question - why suggest such a large lift for 33" tires?
I would assume so you can counter act the weight of the expo gear and so you can have the needed travel for the wheels while off road
Old 04-10-2015, 06:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
Question - why suggest such a large lift for 33" tires?
Breakover angle?
Old 04-10-2015, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

How much weight do you plan on permanently carrying on your jeep? Do you plan on adding thing like a fridge/freezer, roof rack with tent, storage trays, etc (kind of like the way Mark has his jeep outfitted)? If so, you may want to look at Teraflex's Outback suspension kit (https://teraflex.com/shop_items/5327...42cb68c208e176). It's specifically designed for expediationing in a loaded up jeep and will give you a 3" lift. However, if you're really only planning on weekend camps and your jeep will be closer to the original curb weight most days, then this kit will make your ride feel stiffer.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Saharaunlmtd
I'll second this. A 2.5" w/ 285/75R17s is the route I wanted to go. But I already had 35/15s laying around from my last jk so I couldn't justify spending the extra coin.
I second the second.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteLion
Hey guy's and Gal's,
I have a 15' JK and I want your opinions on what size lift and tires I should get, I will be using this as a expedition rig, traveling and camping around the country, but I want it to handle any terrain I may encounter on my trips. I was thinking a 3.5 lift and debating between 33" and 35" tires. Any input from the veterans here will be greatly appreciated thanks.
There's the "large wheels low lift" school. You may also hear that "Expedition Jeep modding is different from offroading Jeep".

I see it differently. Handling any terrain you may encounter, even if not the most extreme, asks for a good break-over angle.
Driving on 4" lift and 35"s, I can't count the times I could not have crossed an obstacle if the lift was lower.

Lifting by 2.5", and then heavily loading it for expedition, on top of steel bumpers, winch, recovery gear, skid plates, rock sliders, etc', lowers the Jeep back to not much above stock height.
I'd therefore say 35"s and 3.5~4" lift, which, when fully loaded, will be 2.5~3" actual lift.

on a 2-dr, I'd replace the rear drive shaft.

Quick Reply: Expedition setup lift and tires?