Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Expedition One Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier

Old 12-19-2011, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunemobbin
Also I have the first gen and can't unscrew the billet spindle cap to save my life.
you just reminded me to put anti sieze on mine. I've had mine for about 8 months and love it but I do wish there was some option for fuel storage.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed my Expedition One rear carrier 2 weeks ago, it is superbly built and the trunk door mechanism keeps the carrier and spare tire tight to the gate without any vibrations. Free shipping was also a plus !

I wanted a beefy full width bumper that opened with the trunk and this fits the bill, recommended !

Ex One plan to release a dual Rotopax gas can carrier in the Spring 2012, WOL posted a picture on the Sema thread showing two cans secured on the left of spare tire.

On to do list : I didn't like their horizontal Hi-Lift attachment, it cost $70 and is too easy to smack your shoulder or head when opening the gate. I need to either alter the bracket or fabricate new mounts to hold the Hi-Lift diagonally.

Also planned are two Rigid Industries dually lights mounted at 10 & 2 o'clock around the spare for back-up reversing lights.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bluewrx78
What rack is that? Can you get the top off easy?
It's a Gobi rack. The top can be taken off by rotating the rack back. Works fairly easily.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's a better pic from the back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4170122495.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	252329
Old 12-20-2011, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubicon09
Here's a better pic from the back.

Attachment 252329
Wish I had a lift in my garage.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ER NURSE 407
Wish I had a lift in my garage.
It certainly makes things a lot easier at times.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had mine for about 1 1/2 years.
Ordered it directly from Expedition One. At the time there was an issue with other suppliers, Northridge, etc, being able to get them due to an issue with the powder coater.
I called them, the woman who answered put me on hold, checked warehouse, and confirmed they had one ready to ship. I ordered it.
I have not regretted it any bit! Still quiet and the tailgate/carrier interface is what sold me.
Watch the video on their web site a few times, adjusting the attachment to the tailgate takes a few tries to get it perfect.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by westchester
Ex One plan to release a dual Rotopax gas can carrier in the Spring 2012, WOL posted a picture on the Sema thread showing two cans secured on the left of spare tire.
Glad you posted this, I didn't look at that thread, my next project was going to be a jerry can mount in that location.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

I have had mine for over a year and it is great. The fit and finish is fantastic, the gaps are small and lines fit the JK perfect. In my opinion there are none better.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by River Hill
I am considering getting this rear bumper for my 2012 Rubicon and looking for feedback on them. Just wondering how it has been holding up or if you have any issues?
I have the Expedition One front and rear bumpers. I ordered direct from Expedition One. The bumper is sturdy and I don't get any rattles while driving.

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	252672

Originally Posted by westchester
I installed my Expedition One rear carrier 2 weeks ago, it is superbly built and the trunk door mechanism keeps the carrier and spare tire tight to the gate without any vibrations. Free shipping was also a plus !

I wanted a beefy full width bumper that opened with the trunk and this fits the bill, recommended !

On to do list : I didn't like their horizontal Hi-Lift attachment, it cost $70 and is too easy to smack your shoulder or head when opening the gate. I need to either alter the bracket or fabricate new mounts to hold the Hi-Lift diagonally.

Also planned are two Rigid Industries dually lights mounted at 10 & 2 o'clock around the spare for back-up reversing lights.
If you are referring to this bumper from SEMA that WOL took, Expedtion One says that it is a prototype that they are looking at for production, but it is not backwards compatible with their current bumpers. If you look closely at the photo, you will see that there is a spindle on the driver's side of the bumper to support the gas cans. There are two spindles on this bumper and it uses a different swing out. The second spindle is on the passenger side like the current bumper to support the spare tire. Also, the spare tire is no longer centered in the back of the Jeep. The tire is offset to the passenger side so that there is room for the gas cans.

Name:	Exp1 carrier.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	252673

Last edited by bo9roadking; 12-21-2011 at 10:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Expedition One Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier