Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Expedition One JK Rubi Skid Plate

Old 03-04-2008, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you look closely you can see that I drilled three drain holes on the lower surface of the drop down area. I just forgot to reference this in my orginal posting. The back side is enclosed.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

It is welded and I used a cut off wheel on my die grinder. The metal is thin and it cuts easily.

Originally Posted by nclehmann
Obviously, the lower cross-member needs to be removed. How is this done? Is this bolted in or welded? If welded, what's the easiest way to remove it?

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Just ordered my Rubi Skid from Sarah at Expedition One! Should be here by the end of the week.

Thanks Sarah!
Old 03-04-2008, 01:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok Expedtion here are pics from underneath, seems to me it should work, what do you think?

Old 03-05-2008, 05:29 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It appears as though the skid plate will fit. The only thing I'm wondering about is if anything is attached to it from the bumper or hanging down from the bumper. From the second picture it appears there might be but it hard to tell. I'm not sure if it s just a mounting bracket on the side or ... Wait, is that the plastic thing sits at the back of the bumper? it looks like its been melted or something?

Ya it should fit as long as there are no mounting brackets that attach to that crossmember, and you can rotate your swaybar forward and up into place I think your good to go....
Old 03-05-2008, 05:36 AM
Former Vendor

Here are the install instructions:

They have pictures of the bash bar (lower crossmember) removal

http://www.exp-one.com/RubiSkidInstall.htm
Old 03-05-2008, 06:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool I'm 99% sure it will work....yes that is the plastic thing by the bumper and I used a dremel to grind it so I could mount my winch without taking the bumper off lol

Thanks I am going to order this skid, finally something to protect that damn low hanging motor
Old 03-08-2008, 08:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Lock washers for Rubi Skid Plate

I ordered my Expedition One Rubi Skid Plate last week and expect it to be delivered on Tuesday. I understand the need for lock-tite on the bolts that secure it to the sway bar bracket and frame - but how about the use of lock washers? Is there sufficient length and thread on the bolts to accomodate for the thickness of a lock washer against the skid plate also?

It states on the instructions that the bolts may come loose. I would like to reduce the possibility of them coming loose.

Also, what lock-tite should I get? Strength of hold?

Any thoughts?
Old 03-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nclehmann
I ordered my Expedition One Rubi Skid Plate last week and expect it to be delivered on Tuesday. I understand the need for lock-tite on the bolts that secure it to the sway bar bracket and frame - but how about the use of lock washers? Is there sufficient length and thread on the bolts to accomodate for the thickness of a lock washer against the skid plate also?

It states on the instructions that the bolts may come loose. I would like to reduce the possibility of them coming loose.

Also, what lock-tite should I get? Strength of hold?

Any thoughts?
the bolts are plenty long to add lock washers if you desire. If you did lock tight I would just do the blue stuff. I think that's what they used on the stock bolts.

The loosening issue is more of a precaution. often times once parts settle in they can have some slop in them. Its usually nice to keep things tight...
Old 03-08-2008, 03:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Expedition One
the bolts are plenty long to add lock washers if you desire. If you did lock tight I would just do the blue stuff. I think that's what they used on the stock bolts.

The loosening issue is more of a precaution. often times once parts settle in they can have some slop in them. Its usually nice to keep things tight...
Thanks! I can't wait until it arrives. I'll be sure to take pictures of the install and post them next week!

Quick Reply: Expedition One JK Rubi Skid Plate