Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Expedition JK Buildout

Old 05-13-2013, 07:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Comprehensive gauges showing oil psi, and volts would be a minimum. I love my jeep but am discussed to think that no one offers these gauges in a ready made pod for the jk. Seriously, it's sad. We spend big $ on weekend fun parts that at any moment can be worthless if the jeep suffers a mechanical malfunction, something gauges help the driver keep an eye on.
When are we going to get serious about jeep in the back country? I don't trust a vehicle I can't communicate with. Gauges help a driver do just that! All the toys for in dedicated catalogs for jeeps and no gauge packs ready to bolt on... Sad.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaker t5
That is because you are talking about a dirt road , we are talking about ruts and rocks that can swallow a car

I bet your rally car can't get over this

LAWL! I'm totally picturing the WRX smashing into the rock like a snow ball.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:32 PM
JK Super Freak

No offense....but being from the rally car scene you should know those guys have crews with multiple spare tyres for their cars.....you are taking about spending time in REMOTE areas.....

So dump the 20" rims for something easier to find a replacement. i.e. readily available. I'd think a 16" rim or possibly 17".

A CAI is bad for a vehicle being built as an "expedition," or any JK where water crossings are a possibility of any depth over a few feet. Get a snorkel if anything.

For a rack? MBRP looks clean. A lot like the Gobi.

Will you be driving from village to village and staying at a cheap inn? If not, invest in an underhood shower. They are quite nice.

Quite frankly, building your rig to take on the Rubicon trail or other hard trail would be a good start.

The AEV lift is a good compromise for onroad and offroad handling. Should be quite trouble free and very serviceable in any country as it uses a lot of factory hard parts.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:46 PM
JK Junkie

I can't take this thread serious cause in this one the op I talking about lifting and overlanding and today he also started a thread about how he lowered his jk and can believe how well it rides even with the front bump stops resting in axle and the rear has 1-1 1/2 inches of uptravel and it does ride a little rough in third world countries such as new york. So which is it did you lower it or lift it?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Aeroforce makes great guages, I got them, easy plug in play.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2047006650.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	457592
Old 05-13-2013, 09:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am really trying to wrap my head around what is going on here. If I am reading all your posts correctly, you lowered your Jeep to the point where the front rides on the bump stops, installed 20 inch wheels and roughly 31 inch tires with real small sidewalls as an expedition build? The reason you did this is based off your experience racing rally cars? Are you planning on taking actual roads the entire way? Maybe thats the issue here. You see typically when people say "Expedition Wheeling" they are talking about offroading for extensive distances over an extended period of time over light to moderate terrain typically. Are you just talking about driving on roads everywhere you go and calling it an expedition?
Old 05-13-2013, 10:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced
I can't take this thread serious cause in this one the op I talking about lifting and overlanding and today he also started a thread about how he lowered his jk and can believe how well it rides even with the front bump stops resting in axle and the rear has 1-1 1/2 inches of uptravel and it does ride a little rough in third world countries such as new york. So which is it did you lower it or lift it?
I'm waiting to hear
Old 05-14-2013, 03:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BigSteve
I am really trying to wrap my head around what is going on here. If I am reading all your posts correctly, you lowered your Jeep to the point where the front rides on the bump stops, installed 20 inch wheels and roughly 31 inch tires with real small sidewalls as an expedition build? The reason you did this is based off your experience racing rally cars? Are you planning on taking actual roads the entire way? Maybe thats the issue here. You see typically when people say "Expedition Wheeling" they are talking about offroading for extensive distances over an extended period of time over light to moderate terrain typically. Are you just talking about driving on roads everywhere you go and calling it an expedition?
Hey I do expedition wheeling all the time , you know how far one mall to another is and all the pot holes , stop lights you got to cross to get to it
Old 05-14-2013, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lyd
I did and now I am installing a 2.5 AEV kit. I see a negative correlation between lift and off-roading. I have probably done more off-roading in cars with no lifts than most Jeep drivers on this forum. Take a look at rally races...I do not see many on this forum discussing their entry in the Dakar race.
I wonder lyd, what year and class did you enter in the Dakar? You wont find many here who would, that is simply not what we do with these vehicles, we build them to climb things, to go through mud and holes that would swallow a puegot or subaru, we build them to drive over your rally cars, not to compete with them! You are comparing apples to oranges and getting huffy when you don't get the desired response. Nobody was trying to give you a hard time until you showed your a$$ by making the dakar comment and talking in a different thread about lowering and big rims. Now you have lost respect and credibility, and I'm gonna go make some popcorn and watch the thrashing!
Old 05-14-2013, 05:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shearlow

I wonder lyd, what year and class did you enter in the Dakar? You wont find many here who would, that is simply not what we do with these vehicles, we build them to climb things, to go through mud and holes that would swallow a puegot or subaru, we build them to drive over your rally cars, not to compete with them! You are comparing apples to oranges and getting huffy when you don't get the desired response. Nobody was trying to give you a hard time until you showed your a$$ by making the dakar comment and talking in a different thread about lowering and big rims. Now you have lost respect and credibility, and I'm gonna go make some popcorn and watch the thrashing!
Lol. Me too.

Sent from the fast lane while driving one handed.

Quick Reply: Expedition JK Buildout