Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Exhaust .....what manufacturer to go with?

Old 05-21-2013, 07:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1978cj7jk2012
On my 3.6 I had an exhaust built from the ypipe back deleting the resonator and putting a flowmaster super 44 in the stock location tucked up real high
That maybe my next setup down the road. I have the same deal, but with a Super 10. Sounds pretty mean, but sometimes I could settle for something a LITTLE quieter. That and for some reason the super 10 with no resonator hisses at a certain RPM when you let off the gas. Its weird. Does it with no exhaust too.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynomax
Rock Crawler will be a little quieter since it dumps all the way out back.
Since the Competition is a bit louder I would say that would could have a bit of a drone.
On our systems (2007-11) we have seen a gain throughout the power band on HP/TQ mind you these gains aren't V8 gains, nominal gains.
Location of the muffler on both kits is the same, just where it dumps out.

Could you please send me the part number for the Rock Crawler and for the Evolution Competition, thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 05-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Killfoot1775
Could you please send me the part number for the Rock Crawler and for the Evolution Competition, thanks again!

Evolution Competition system
2007-11 P/N 39516
2012-13 P/N 39522

"Rockcrawler" Design
2007-11 P/N 39464 (2 door)
P/N 39459 (4 door)
2012-13 P/N 39524 (2 door)
P/N 39523 (4 door)

I will PM it to you as well.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by glock35
I'm very happy with my Dynomax rock crawler cat back system. Had it on for over a year and it sounds better now than when new. Butt dyno indicated a slightly better feel. I just added the AfE stage 2 si intake and super hips flashpaq, all I can say is wow! The total combo of exhaust, intake and tuner definitely woke up the 3.8. It's not a sports car, but noticeably better pull now and is able to maintain speed uphill.
X2 on the Dynomax sounds great!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personaly like the MBRP Offroad Cat back set up it has geat sound and looks great too what I did with mine was purchased it with no coating. I coated it myself with 3000 degree paint made for grills and such and is holding up great even with the sand and salt from new england here is the link from my JKU and the exhaust sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z5ZRu33cCw
Old 05-21-2013, 11:28 AM
JK Newbie

I got the ss mbrp off road system and banks cai no regret and no more big ugly muffler in back. If I wanted some thing quite I woundnt of bought a jk
Old 05-21-2013, 03:33 PM
JK Freak

As someone previously mentioned, it is my belief that the difference between a cat-back and just replacing the muffler are minimal, if any, in comparable preformance gains. So, I went the inexpensive route and just bought a muffler that I could relocate under the cab. I also wanted something just a little louder than stock but better sounding. Lastly, I figured if I'm going to spend the money on a muffler in hopes in improving performance, even if it was only a little, I'll need to find some real data to back up the claims of hp/torque gains. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a Dyno comparison on the JK with the leading contenders, but I did find one done on a Ford Mustang that was done a few years ago. Based on their Dyno tests, measuring HP/Torque/Sound Levels, I chose the Borla ProXS. It was small enough to fit under the cab w/o relocating anything, it sounds better than stock (especially at WOT) and the sound levels in the cab are only slightly more than stock levels (exept at WOT which is noticably louder). Drone is minimal and only barely detectable at around 2100 rpms. And when I say drone, I mean it just seems a little louder, no vibrations or annoying rumbles. Here's how mine looks installed:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wrangler Unlimited Exhaust 003.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	460315Click image for larger version

Name:	Wrangler Unlimited Exhaust 001.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	460316

I plan to shorten the tailpipe to end before the bumper soon to eliminate rock damage on the trails. I've scrapped it more than once already and would have crushed it another time if I hadn't changed the line others were running. I don't have any other mufflers to compare to on the JK so take this all for what it's worth. Here's the sound clip I did a couple years ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktp3aWItEX8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktp3aWItEX8
Old 05-21-2013, 05:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kh202

That maybe my next setup down the road. I have the same deal, but with a Super 10. Sounds pretty mean, but sometimes I could settle for something a LITTLE quieter. That and for some reason the super 10 with no resonator hisses at a certain RPM when you let off the gas. Its weird. Does it with no exhaust too.
It's still loud though.. Loudest jk I've personally heard
Old 05-24-2013, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just put my order in for the Dynomax Evolution Competition exhaust! So excited, can't wait to get it and do install.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

My 2010 Sahara with the Magnaflow system is on youtube.

Quick Reply: Exhaust .....what manufacturer to go with?