Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Exhaust upgrade question

Old 12-07-2011, 06:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust upgrade question

If you upgrade exhaust system to a more freely flowing type should you also upgrade the air intake to allow more air into the engine? I often heard you should upgrade exhaust if you upgrade air intake, so I was wondering if the opposite was necessary?
Old 12-07-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems logical.

I think in order to reap the benefits of an exhaust you need to get more air in.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TJM12
If you upgrade exhaust system to a more freely flowing type should you also upgrade the air intake to allow more air into the engine? I often heard you should upgrade exhaust if you upgrade air intake, so I was wondering if the opposite was necessary?
Most people do...unless doing just for purposes of sounding cool
Old 12-07-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the air intake, you aren't really pulling in "more" air, you are just pulling that air in easier. There are a lot more components to replace if you want to pull more air in. So you really don't need the intake unless you really want it...as you will see very minimal gains if any at all.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Ok makes sense. I wondered because after doing my exhaust upgrade about 2 months ago I noticed a little less low end, presumably due to reducing back pressure. So I'm thinking if more exhaust flow reduces backpressure adding more air would replace some and increase power.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

My AEM Air Intake was done prior to installing MBRP Exhaust. My jeep did feel a little more responsive with the intake. Exhaust definitely helped. If you do go with an intake AEM seems well made.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Does a Cai deepen the exhaust sound also? Or is all the additional noise coming from the intake?

Quick Reply: Exhaust upgrade question