Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Exhaust upgrade

Old 11-17-2016, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust upgrade

I upgraded my exhaust in the last few months to a Dynomax dual exhaust and now it seems like I have lost power. Do I need to upgrade the intake was well? Or should I install a programmer? Only other upgrades I have done to my sport jku is upgraded the tires from street tires to the Rubicon BFG mud terrain tires and installed a K/N air filter in the airbox. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

aslong as you did not mess with the y pipe forward you shouldent of lost any power from the exhaust.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

No just removed the stock exhaust from the joint near the rear tire. I did not mess with the Y joint. I'm not really sure if it lost power it just seems more sluggish. I did at one point attempt to install a CAI but when I went to install the CAI I noticed metal shavings in the tube so I was afraid to install it because I was worried about damaging my engine. So I reinstalled the stock airbox
Old 11-17-2016, 07:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

make sure you installed the air box properly. i talked to the guys at magnaflow and dynomax before i bought my exhaust and both said that unless you change the y pipe there should be no power loss.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I doubt you lost any power. More than likely your mind is "hearing" the exhaust and "tricking" you into thinking you should have more power but the seat of your pants isn't feeling the improvement and so your mind "tells" you that you lost power....

Happens all the time. Someone will install a free flowing exhaust system and be disappointed with the lack of performance improvement.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:00 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah I'm sure I installed the stock box back correctly. And boosted you might have a point. It does sound louder and maybe it is tricking me. So should I buy a good CAI or buy a tuner to help increase fuel economy and performance?
Old 11-18-2016, 03:11 AM
JK Newbie

The intake will only exacerbate the placebo effect.

The tuner could offer a bit of a bump, but it won't be night and day.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This topic does seem to come up every few weeks. A cone filter under the hood is not a Cold Air Intake. A snorkel is a cold air intake more than a cone filter. A cone filter will not improve performance because you will be sucking hot engine air. A clean stock paper filter will have a higher airflow and be less damaging to your engine than an oiled cloth filter. Exhaust upgrades would only be required with supporting engine mods (valving, timing, displacement, forced induction) and have literally no noticeable improvement other than sound.

Every mod you make, the computer has to make adjustments to fuel and timing to return engine performance back to stock. Tuners will allow you to run different fuel with little to no benefit other than running cleaner fuel. Modern naturally aspirated engines don't "hide" power and are engineered for their applications.

Seriously though if your Jeep is feeling sluggish either take some weight off, reduce your tire size, add forced induction, swap for a V8 or go hop in a Subaru.

Quick Reply: Exhaust upgrade