Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Exhaust upgrade?

Old 08-22-2010, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any down side to running a open straight pipe, I dont think there is but wanna check is anyone has had any problems
Old 08-22-2010, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm. back pressure
Old 08-22-2010, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Too busy at work today to get around to taking it off so im just going to wait til next week when i go to summit and pick up a dynomax.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joshzilla
it was more of a pain in the butt than I expected to not kill the rubbers but I used a set of channel locks and bit on the back of the rubber with the front teeth of the channel locks on the hanger stud and then just squeezed the channy's to get the rubber over the lip. only took a few mins and there was some effort on wiggling the muffler to get it off the pipe, do it when it's cold....it would probly separate easier hot but hot vs. skin, hot has beaten me every time!!!
Used a pair of channel locks the same way when my son and I installed our MRBP cat back. Sprayed the hangers down with WD-40 the night before the install and they popped right off.

Last edited by kingteddybear; 08-22-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2
hmmm. back pressure
Yep...what he said
Old 08-23-2010, 04:36 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by NebRedrocker
Won't you lose some low end with the straight pipes? I think some backpressure is our friend with the 3.8
You will definitely lose some low end power and move it higher up in the rpm range. It's not necessarily back pressure, but the exhaust gas pulse and velocity to help scavenge and evacuate spent fuel from the cylinders.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:40 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Originally Posted by joshzilla
I was talking about the open exhaust, so I pulled my muffler, it sounds a bit lawn mower-ish at higher rev's but gives it some sound at least. At the moment I don't have $ to throw at somthing that doesn't actually have any use-able function. I can see how there is no power gain on aftermarket, the stock exhaust is straight back so no restriction there and the aftermarket pipes are all the same diameter of stock so all that is gained it sound. I will end up getting one at some point but I'm gonna rock the straight pipe for a little while
While there is a small power gain with our exhaust systems, we also built a bolt on exhaust relocation system to give extra clearance in the rear where the factory muffler sits.

Our relocation exhaust moves the muffler up in front of the rear axle between the frame rail and drive shaft. When you get tired of the sound inside your Jeep let us know and we'll help you get an exhaust that does make power, and does not sound annoying on the highway.

Steve
Old 09-09-2010, 11:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dlincoln91
I did it by spraying the some WD40 to oil it up and then using a big screwdriver to pry them off and it worked fine and i have taken my muffler off like 4 times now
I second this procedure, first try and they popped off

Quick Reply: Exhaust upgrade?