Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Exhaust too loud / drone...

Old 09-20-2012, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust too loud / drone...

I just got my 2012 2Dr Rubicon COD back with Evo coilovers Evo Lever installed. Drives great (I'll save that for another thread with pics). The exhaust had to be relocated and we went with Dynomax Super Turbo muffler. It sounds loud to me and at highway speeds I think I have drone. I love everything else but the exhaust. I want it to be silent. I can deal with burble at low RPMs but the annoying sound at 2300-2800 RPM I want to address.

What can be done to quiet it down?
What are my options with the limited space?

Thanks a lot for your time and advice !

Last edited by jamgolf; 09-20-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:46 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jamgolf
I just got my 2012 2Dr Rubicon COD back with Evo coilovers Evo Lever installed. Drives great (I'll save that for another thread with pics). The exhaust had to be relocated and we went with Dynomax Super Turbo muffler. It sounds loud to me and at highway speeds I think I have drone. I love everything else but the exhaust. I want it to be silent. I can deal with burble at low RPMs but the annoying sound at 2300-2800 RPM I want to address.

What can be done to quiet it down?
What are my options with the limited space?

Thanks a lot for your time and advice !
Do you know the part number by chance? This can give me a place to start on overall length, inlet/outlet etc...
You can look to the VT muffler, there is no drone with this muffler. It is louder when you get on it than the Super Turbo but as mentioned no drone.
Dynomax® Performance Exhaust | Mufflers | Dynomax VT™ Muffler

If you want, you can post up some pictures to see the lay out with the EVO system in the rear.
I am guessing EVAP relocate as well?
Old 09-20-2012, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dynomax
Do you know the part number by chance? This can give me a place to start on overall length, inlet/outlet etc...
You can look to the VT muffler, there is no drone with this muffler. It is louder when you get on it than the Super Turbo but as mentioned no drone.
Dynomax® Performance Exhaust | Mufflers | Dynomax VT™ Muffler

If you want, you can post up some pictures to see the lay out with the EVO system in the rear.
I am guessing EVAP relocate as well?

Thanks for the reply. I do not have the part number. Yes the evap was relocated as well.
I will take some pictures this afternoon to give an idea of the current layout.

If I go with the VT muffler, which I am actually considering and put one of the bullet mufflers (as a resonator) after the VT will that make it pretty quiet?
Old 09-20-2012, 08:27 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Cool on the pics.
I would put the Bullet in front of the VT to get more "scrubbing" of the exhaust and yes it should be pretty quiet. But with a 2 door space (as you know) is tight!
Also if you are researching look to a VT in the over 4.0L application.
I am subscribed to this post, so should get up dates.

Thanks for the reply. I do not have the part number. Yes the evap was relocated as well.
I will take some pictures this afternoon to give an idea of the current layout.

If I go with the VT muffler, which I am actually considering and put one of the bullet mufflers (as a resonator) after the VT will that make it pretty quiet?
Old 09-20-2012, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Dynomax:
Here are a couple of images to give you an idea. Lens angle is not wide enough but still you might get the picture.
(Don't know if I have enough posts to attach images yet - we shall see...)

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9309_1.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	368679
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9312_1.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	368680
Old 09-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Cool!
Offset in/center out.
P/N 17956 should work for the VT. (over 4.0 application)
The overall on the muffler is 19" BTW for this VT muffler.
A Race Bullet (if you go this route) in 2.5" is P/N 24246 (stainless steel) 16.5" overall.
I have heard 2012 with the VT in the rear and it is quiet cruising around Moab but had a nice tone when you got on it.

Dynomax:
Here are a couple of images to give you an idea. Lens angle is not wide enough but still you might get the picture.
(Don't know if I have enough posts to attach images yet - we shall see...)

Attachment 368679
Attachment 368680
Old 09-20-2012, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

Cool!
Offset in/center out.
P/N 17956 should work for the VT. (over 4.0 application)
The overall on the muffler is 19" BTW for this VT muffler.
A Race Bullet (if you go this route) in 2.5" is P/N 24246 (stainless steel) 16.5" overall.
I have heard 2012 with the VT in the rear and it is quiet cruising around Moab but had a nice tone when you got on it.

Thanks for the part number. I'll order it. Current muffler is 14" so 19" should also add some quietness right?
I don't think there will be enough space for a bullet if I go with this 19" muffler unless I go with a really short 6" bullet. Is that worth it?
Also - not sure I understand the term **over 4.0 application** ...

Thanks again for your help !
Old 09-21-2012, 05:51 AM
JK Newbie

I just looked up the P/N 17956 and the length (19") same as my current muffler.
Would using P/N 17959 length 21" not be better?

Also - would using "over 4.0L" version of the same muffler be better/quieter than the "upto 4.0L" considering the engine is 3.6L ?

Thanks again for your time !
Old 09-21-2012, 06:55 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

P/N 17959 is off set/off set so shouldn't be an issue fitting in that space, it will just be at a bit of an angle I am guessing.
We suggest the over 4.0L for the JK platform because of the heavy bumpers, tires/wheel and suspension mods that get added most of the time.

I just looked up the P/N 17956 and the length (19") same as my current muffler.
Would using P/N 17959 length 21" not be better?

Also - would using "over 4.0L" version of the same muffler be better/quieter than the "upto 4.0L" considering the engine is 3.6L ?

Thanks again for your time !
Old 09-21-2012, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

P/N 17959 is off set/off set so shouldn't be an issue fitting in that space, it will just be at a bit of an angle I am guessing.
We suggest the over 4.0L for the JK platform because of the heavy bumpers, tires/wheel and suspension mods that get added most of the time.
Thanks for your suggestions and time !
I've just ordered P/N 17959.

Quick Reply: Exhaust too loud / drone...