Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

exhaust, power increase?

Old 08-10-2010, 12:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no performance gain, I just like being the aggravating jackass with the loud exhaust.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I first installed an AEM CAI and that gave me noise, but little power gains. Knowing that what you breath in you must exhaust, I installed a MagnaFlow Cat-Back exhaust and re-programmed with a Superchips - now I not only sound great, but the HP increase and throttle response it very, very noticeable! I just returned from a 6,000 mile road trip (no wheelin) when running 80 mph loaded with baggage and three people I got 17 - 18 mpg; thru Yellowstone at 45 - 50 mph that tank gave me 24.2 mpg; I checked one or two more and most highway tanks were in the 16 to 18 range at 70 to 80 mph, so it did not hurt mpg either.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
The problem is with the long tube headers, you will drop in back pressure... and that will result in drop in power. I had a crack in my exhaust manifold and it dropped my mpg by 2! The problem with new technology is its so finely tuned that changing any aspects such as exhaust can actually impact performance versus improving performance.

To see any gains, you would need to re-program your Jeeps chip.
You don't drop back pressure with long tubes, you move the torque curve to a lower rpm, create better scavenging and increase the power band. There are also often gains in horsepower as the exhaust gas pulses will fair better with equal length tubes which are often unobtainable with short tube designs.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Recently intstalled a MRBP exhaust - gives it a different sound, but if your only looking for a power gain use your money elsewhere! Even the sound w/6 banger is borderline ricer imo. I would not do it again - just my 2cents
Old 08-10-2010, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

i unbolted my muffler. everyones says you lose back pressure, which im sure you do. but i couldnt tell any difference in performance. i figure if you keep your cat thers still enough back pressure. wont make to much of a differences

stay safe
Old 08-10-2010, 04:57 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by KyleReikowsky
i unbolted my muffler. everyones says you lose back pressure, which im sure you do. but i couldnt tell any difference in performance. i figure if you keep your cat thers still enough back pressure. wont make to much of a differences

stay safe
Exhausts have specific lengths and diameters they need to function at to provide the broadest power band and the most power. It might not necessarily be noticeable but I can assure you it would be measurable.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kingpinJK
no performance gain, I just like being the aggravating jackass with the loud exhaust.
indeed
Old 08-10-2010, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default exhaust, power increase?

I received marginal gain from my short ram air intake and nismo exhaust on my 350z, but more than likely it was seat of the pants more than anything else. I do believe the short ram and exhaust I put on my wife's jetta really did boost the hp for the 4cyl 2.0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2010, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default exhaust, power increase?

...I am looking at an exhaust though for my JK. I'm just looking for a nice growl and I expect no gains. No intake on this one though as I feel they really increase the engine noise level, want to avoid that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: exhaust, power increase?