Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Exhaust opinion (may be controversial)

Old 01-10-2008 | 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

To each their own...do what you want to your JK nobody cares; not like I'm making the payments for you
Old 01-10-2008 | 02:55 PM
JK Junkie

There's another thread in here somewhere (search isn't cooperating with me today) that shows much different dyno readings. It tests chips, intake and exhaust as well as combinations there of. The best readings came from the simple cat back exhaust, something like 4 more horsepower with the worst being a combo of intake and exhaust. -2 horsepower or so. Of course remember that 53.7% of all statistics are fabricated.

I have the Cooltech and think the sound reminds me of the Jeeps in the old WWII flicks and MASH as well. Not very loud at all, mostly just deeper.
Old 01-11-2008 | 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are the CAIs out there have a much bigger intake pipe diameter than the stock one? If not, why not just slap on a cheap cone filter at the end of the piping and call it a day, saving yourself at least $150 depending on which CAI you would choose.
Old 01-11-2008 | 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I managed to crush my stock muffler comming off a steep dry water fall.
So I replaced it with a smaller gibson flow thru one.
I was hoping it would add a bit of power as the cold air had certainly done.
It didn't.
At least not at the low end.
Now this is just experiencial and not dyno-ed.
But because of its smaller size I was able to add 1/4 steel skid plate to protect the muffle nicely and still stay completely tucked up and invisible.
As for the "noise" well it does add some throat to the goat, but its not annoying or very load. Just a bit bubbly and throaty especially when you first start it up.
As far as power curves and so on goes I suspect the stock system is engineered to use some back pressure at the lower end to help it "bite". So if I had added the skid plate BEFORE crushing my muffler, I would be happier all in all, knowing what I know now.

Have fun out there, and make it home!

Quick Reply: Exhaust opinion (may be controversial)