Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Exhaust Nitrogen from Steering Stabilizers?

Old 05-20-2008, 06:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by armyguy
Yep let everything out of mine. its not supposed to be in there.

From FOX. It is there (the Pressure) so you can tune it. You need it in there. You just need to find the right pressure for your vehicle and its set up.

Steering Stabilizers - .625" Shafts
Fox Racing Shocks now offers these steering dampers. The longer damper as pictured works well with Ford Superdutys and the smaller one works well for buggies and sandrails. These dampers are gas pressureized and so will cause a vehicle with only one to drift slightly. You can minimize this affect by lowering the pressure in the shock. The 2.0 steering stabilizer from Fox Shocks is tunable.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:00 PM
JK Newbie

So how do you like it?

I just bought one and now i realize how big it is and that i still need a relocation bracket. honestly this is a lot of effort and i might just exchange it for an OME SS (which was great on my XJ) and it will be a direct fit.

steering feel is important to me so if you think it is worth the effort than i will most dfeinately keep it. i was just concerned about your comment about return to center...

and my JK is still stock, about to get 33's after i get this steering straightened out so i hope there is enough room down there for it to fit w/o a lift...
Old 08-01-2008, 07:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2007 JK
So how do you like it?

I just bought one and now i realize how big it is and that i still need a relocation bracket. honestly this is a lot of effort and i might just exchange it for an OME SS (which was great on my XJ) and it will be a direct fit.

steering feel is important to me so if you think it is worth the effort than i will most dfeinately keep it. i was just concerned about your comment about return to center...

and my JK is still stock, about to get 33's after i get this steering straightened out so i hope there is enough room down there for it to fit w/o a lift...
It wouldn't hurt for you to relocate your stock SS. However if you look at what else is out there after market, you'll realize the Fox is fairly small.

The only thing I don't like about the Fox/Woods combo is that you have to put some kind of spacers in there to get the Fox to stay in there correctly.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

have you seen the fox SS? i honestly have a hard time believing there are any larger ones out there, for a superduty maybe, not for a JK. but either way.

i guess what im getting at is this SS really better than just an Old Man Emu SS...
Old 08-03-2008, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by seer1
The only thing I don't like about the Fox/Woods combo is that you have to put some kind of spacers in there to get the Fox to stay in there correctly.
What are you talking about? I'm looking at the pictures posted above, and I'm not seeing any spacers. You're implying it's incorrect, or unstable in some way?
Old 11-26-2008, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

You know from what I've read, and been told you should be leaving about 30 PSI in your new Fox SS.
I would agree, however you should tune it to your vehicle. I've got 35's and a 3" lift so my tuning will undoubtedly be different from a stock suspension with the same SS.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old thread here. Guess I'll reply even though a couple of questions are a few months old. Yes, I've seen the Fox, it's sitting in the steering linkage of my Jeep. It has a smaller diameter than anything other than the OEM that I've seen. Old Man Emu doesn't make one for our JK's.

The mouth of the bracket is much wider than the fitting at the end of the SS. i think most people just torque the bolt until the bracket compresses onto the fitting. I wasn't comfortable with that so I put washers (although a solid sleeve would have been better) to make it fit properly. Several K's later and it's working fine.

I went to let a little nitro out of it and as soon as I pressed on the valve, all of the nitro came out in one almost instantaneous tiny burst. I was talking with another fellow with one and he said the same thing happened to him. I didn't bother recharging it as it steers the way I like now.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

good to know. im planning on ordering mine this week.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

Seer 1....I just did the same thing with the nitrogen in my Fox SS. Did you feel how easy it was to compress and how spongey it felt with all the nitrogen out? I'm thinking a little in there might be nice? As far as the space you filled with washers, I think your shock should have come with four small misalighnment spacers. One goes on each side of the ball-joint and fills the gaps. Mine came with them and at first I failed to notice them. Just fyi.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

So what's the story with the bump-stop? I've got ACOS on mine which are on the top (obviously) and I've removed the stock ones. I've also got a 3" TeraFlex lift should I worry about the "travel thing" the 1 3/4" of clearence?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Nitrogen from Steering Stabilizers?