Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Exhaust mod gone bad.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by renpia
Same thing happens when guys put straight pipes on their Harley's for sound and top end power. Unfortunately, most of us never drive in that power range in day to day driving. The straight pipes were made for drag racing and WOT, hi rev blasts. So these guys like the sound and the look but lose practical torque for daily driving. So a quick fix is to bolt baffles or restrictors inside the pipe to create back pressure. Some guys drill a hole into their pipes, thread a bolt through and weld a large washer to the bolt end which they can turn to adjust the amount of back pressure just by turning the bolt and changing the angle of the washer. Maybe you can rig something similar in your pipe to create needed back pressure.
Great idea something like a restriction valve, yeah I didn't mean to make a drag car out of it I simply needed to replace damaged cats and a banged up exhaust. But the muffler Shop made a simple straight more free flowing exhaust which hurt me in the long run....so far I changed the muffler and exit pipe today.
A great improvement but sounds horrible. Will just have to keep playing with it. I really didn't think it would hurt the performance as bad as it did.

Thanks to everyone for all the great input.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RSTRICK
I have the same feeling after putting on a Gibson Dual Tip Muffler. Went to a local shop who specializes in performance exhaust and they recommend putting a resonator in front or the Gibson. I am trying that next week.
Let me know how that works out. I have the same muffler.

Quick Reply: Exhaust mod gone bad.