Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Exhaust loop delete

Old 06-21-2012, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust loop delete

Any way to get rid of the hideous loop off drivers side exhaust. It screams tear me off and takes up to much room. I would weld in myself but worry about balance of pressure. Why is it there and will it kill my performance If removed. There is a y pipe twelve inches down so don't see the neccesity.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

Well shoot. Thanks for the info. I am on my phone so none of the search. I was afraid of that so looks like skids it is.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone dyno before and after.

How much power will you loose. 5 hp, 50 hp? Thats what I am interested in. Will you actually notice it.

We are almost done installing the long arm on a 2012 and did the loop delete because it is in the way. We have some ideas on what we can do to possibly get one back in, but if someone dynos it and its a 4 hp lose its a waist of time in my mind.

This JK is getting regeared at the same time, so im going to drive it and see how it feels, and decide what we want to do from there.

Adam
Clayton Off Road Inc.
The following users liked this post:
onlyAjeep (05-18-2022)
Old 08-23-2012, 12:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what about a dual exhaust of equal lengths?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:49 PM
JK Newbie

Any follow up on this?

I've read tons of info regarding why that loop is there in the first place. To be honest, I'm not at all thrilled about cutting it off.

There are bypasses on the market to be considered but I'd rather stay short arm (Clayton BTW) than lose the loop.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKThug4Life
Any follow up on this?

I've read tons of info regarding why that loop is there in the first place. To be honest, I'm not at all thrilled about cutting it off.

There are bypasses on the market to be considered but I'd rather stay short arm (Clayton BTW) than lose the loop.
I've heard nightmares about removing it. I think there was a guy who put a dyno max on and deleted the loop. Can't remember exactly and he didn't dyno but said he felt a significant loss of HP and TQ.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:44 PM
JK Freak

Bump anymore info?
Old 03-05-2013, 05:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Cam36
Bump anymore info?
I have not seen or heard about any actual dyno numbers or quantifiable power specs after deleting it.

I have heard some people who messed around with it during exhaust projects saying they regretted taking it out and will put it back in because it affected their performance.

That being said, Chrysler did some ridiculously stupid things engineering the 2012+ Wrangler. Its the most modded vehicle on the planet and they made putting a basic lift kit on it a challenge without putting exhaust spacers in or changing the front DS. I could go into 20 other little things I would have done differently, but I digress.

The reason the exhaust roller coaster loop is there is to keep both exhaust pipes from the passenger and driver side equal length. This ensures equal back pressure and helps maximize HP and TQ output. I've read that Chrysler engineers spent more time on the engine and exhaust system of the 2012+ than just about any other component of the Jeep. They were very exacting in their lower RPM output targets for power and this exhaust system is designed to provide maximum drive ability.

No offense to the aftermarket, because that's where most of us turn to for better performance and more functional parts for our Jeeps, BUT.....IMO the engine and exhaust on the Pentastar is not something I am prepared to mess with. Look how long it is taking RIPP to smooth their tunes and ensure a quality product hits the street. Hell....cracking the PCM alone on these things has been a nightmare.

I would love to have a long arm kit, but I am not going to do it at the expense of altering the exhaust loop. That's my take anyway.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Installed a long arm lift wed. Had to delete the loop. No big difference in power, actually got 1.5 mpg out of it.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

I'm with rays on this. An exhaust is not about high or low back pressure it is about velocity. With different lengths of pipe right to left you could have both right and left pulses hitting the "Y" at the same time and that's not ideal. Since all of the collector routing is built into the cyl head on the 3.6 I would guess that it's exceptionally finicky about pulse frequency timing within the Y pipe.

Quick Reply: Exhaust loop delete