Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

exhaust help

Old 12-26-2015, 10:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust help

Hi, I removed my rear muffler and installed an off set straight through muffler before the diff. I have a 3.8 auto and now it feels like I have lost power/torque and also it feels like the shifting on the auto feels like it's a bit off now. Am I imagining all this or has the exhaust mod affected my performance?
Old 12-27-2015, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

In theory, yes. Increasing air flow decreases back pressure which decreases torque- in theory. I don't have any set percentages you may have lost but that's the theory behind it.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian13
Hi, I removed my rear muffler and installed an off set straight through muffler before the diff. I have a 3.8 auto and now it feels like I have lost power/torque and also it feels like the shifting on the auto feels like it's a bit off now. Am I imagining all this or has the exhaust mod affected my performance?
have you messed with the cats or is the exhaust just a cat back? If its just a cat back there should be very little performance loss if any. Normally you dont really lose power you just move the power band arround a little . when you open up the exhaust you lose some low end and gain some on the high end ( NA vehicles )
Old 12-28-2015, 12:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feed back, yes it does feel like I have lost a bit of bottom end and the top end a bit more free but wouldn't say has any more power. It is only a cat back system so have not touched the cats or cross over pipes. I definitely don't like how the jeep feels now so I am going to try a different muffler that will provide a bit of back pressure, hopefully this will keep it feeling more like stock. My normal driving tends to keep the rpm's in the green zone (under 3k) and now it feels like it has nothing in that powerband.

Quick Reply: exhaust help