Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Exhaust Extenders on 2.5 lift are they needed.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Extenders on 2.5 lift are they needed.

Have done a bunch of searches and it seems to be almost even split on who has done this and who hasn't and if it even has benefits. I have a 14 auto Sahara. I'm running 33s and have Lod Bumpers and winch up front. I go out to Rausch creek and with the stock suspension I'm rubbing the stock fenders. I want to get the Teraflex 2.5 lift kit with bilstiens and it suggests you also get and install the exhaust spacer. I've read so many conflicting reviews on wether you truly need this. If this was a true necessity why wouldn't they just add the fifty dollars to the price of the kit and include the dam thing. Would love to hear from fellow jeepers on this.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:56 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

it all depends on the length of your front shocks. On my 14 jkur with RK 2.5" I needed one or my ds would rub at full droop but I am running 27.5" long front shocks. I have a Rancho exhaust spacer for sale. I ended up going with a new ds.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just do it. I've lost two stock driveshafts in 3 trips. Here's the boot from today's trip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-696655250.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	467.8 KB
ID:	620966
Old 08-10-2015, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

How much lift do you have that you ripped two boots already?
Old 08-10-2015, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cobradave93
How much lift do you have that you ripped two boots already?
First was stock. I'm not sure if it pinched the cv boot or a stick hit it. The second was with 1.5" RK springs and OME long travel shocks.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a teraflex 2.5". First with shock extensions I needed the spacers. I now have fox shocks and gained a little more droop. I should just get a new driveshaft but I'm a cheap ass. I had to install some spacers for my EVO protect system because the exhaust spacers push the cross pipe down lower and the skid system covers this pipe pretty close.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Jeep JKU Auto and installed AEV 2.5 lift which included Bilstein 5100 Shocks and per AEV you do no spacers. The Bilstein 5100 Front Shock part # - 24-146708.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the TeraFlex 2.5" coil lift with Bilstein 5100's on my '14 JKU and I haven't installed the exhaust spacer. I was in the same boat as you, I kept searching the forums for a definite answer; but like everything on here, YMMV. I haven't had any issues with the driveshaft yet and it's something I inspect regularly.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

I don't see the need for exhaust extensions being related to the size of the lift as much as they are to the length of the shocks. The max angle of the driveshaft is dependent on the max droop allowed by the shocks until you get into long enough shocks that the control arms and other things start to limit the droop. In my 2015 2-door, bilstein 5100 shocks let the accordion plastic of the driveshaft just lightly touch the top of the crossover heat shield at full droop. We can debate the likelihood of the axle being at full droop in the real world, since one side is usually up when the other side is down, and the pumpkin in somewhere in the middle - but you can jack the vehicle up and prove very easily it is possible. I don't like bad things being possible if I can help it, so I put in the exhaust extensions. Now, if I disconnect the bilsteins and let the axle down another couple of inches, the little rubber boot in the constant velocity joint on the transfer case binds up before the driveshaft touches the exhaust.

So, from what I can see, if you put on 5100's you need exhaust extensions; and if you put on anything longer, you need a new driveshaft. (At least on a 2-door, and of course YMMV)
Old 08-13-2015, 02:48 PM
JK Newbie

I just want to say thank you very much for all that have responded.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Extenders on 2.5 lift are they needed.