Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is this exhaust any good?

Old 08-10-2008, 10:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this exhaust any good?

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aFe-STAINLESS-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-07-08-JEEP-WRANGLER-JK-4DR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247 QQcategoryZ33630QQihZ025QQitemZ380048939592QQrdZ1Q QsspagenameZWD1V

Last edited by Sharkey; 08-13-2011 at 09:24 PM. Reason: PLEASE DO NOT POST DIRECT EBAY LINKS
Old 08-11-2008, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Reputable brand.....but a 3" exhaust is a little over kill even for a lightly modded Jeep.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

thats what I have on my jeep. I didn't really notice any kind of power increase or decrease with it. Most people claim a increase with an aftermarket exhaust, but I think I didn't gain anything cause its 3in. Unfortuantely I didn't realize it was until after I had gotten it. I think 3in. is overkill for a 6cyl. It does sound pretty good (about as good as a V6 can sound), but it does resonate inside pretty good at certain rpms, but I'm used to it now. My biggest gripe was that it didn't fit the end of the factory Y-pipe very good, it was a little to big. I tried tightening the supplied clamp as tight as possible, but all that did was wrinkle up the AFE tube and create leaks at the wrinkles. I wound up having to use a stainless steel band clamp with 2 bolts through it and that fixed it. I had to ground the factory locating nub off the y-pipe though to get that clamp to seal good. Other than that, it fits good. If you do decide to go with it, 4wd.com has them cheaper than the place you posted on ebay, thats where I got mine. They might even be onsale yet.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

almost forgot, if you go on youtube, and search "JK 0-60 test", you'll find a video of how it sounds. The same guy also has 2 other videos of how it sounds from inside the jeep at cruise and under acceleration. These are the video's I used to help me make my decision. The "in jeep" videos are pretty much how it sounds. Might be slightly louder in person.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:07 AM
JK Junkie

A 3" exhaust on a JK is definitely overkill and not only will you not see a performance gain, but potentially a performance hit.

Exhaust velocity is just as important as having an unrestricted exhaust flow. There is a sweet spot in diameter which will maintain velocity while providing good flow. When the diameter of your exhaust becomes to large you lose the exhaust gas speed which scavenges spent air and fuel from the cylinder. Leaving behind exhaust gas in the cylinder will drop performance.

Also, keep in mind that a 3" exhaust has over 40% more volume than a 2.5" exhaust. That's a ton of additional exhaust gas volume and without some sort of power adder on the air intake side you aren't going to be pulling that kind of air/fuel volume in.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JPop
A 3" exhaust on a JK is definitely overkill and not only will you not see a performance gain, but potentially a performance hit.

Exhaust velocity is just as important as having an unrestricted exhaust flow. There is a sweet spot in diameter which will maintain velocity while providing good flow. When the diameter of your exhaust becomes to large you lose the exhaust gas speed which scavenges spent air and fuel from the cylinder. Leaving behind exhaust gas in the cylinder will drop performance.

Also, keep in mind that a 3" exhaust has over 40% more volume than a 2.5" exhaust. That's a ton of additional exhaust gas volume and without some sort of power adder on the air intake side you aren't going to be pulling that kind of air/fuel volume in.

nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscellaneous/exhausttheory.htm

Last edited by Sharkey; 08-13-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: No links to non-sponsors please
Old 08-14-2011, 04:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought mbrp ss cat back and I have supercharger. Just not big fan of rice sound even more so with s/c get up high in the rpms and I sound like I'm in my 350z. Took off and sold just running stock now till I find one with good sound not rice

Quick Reply: Is this exhaust any good?