Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

EVO sleeve install problem! please help.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EVO sleeve install problem! please help.

I installed evo sleeves yesterday and when I first installed the driver side sleeve to the etched line like in the instructions, the line went like a spiral. So I looked at the line for the passenger side and the line was the same all the way around so I figured the driver side sleeve just got messed up when they made it, so I went off of the passenger line and installed and welded it and it worked perfectly. Now here comes the fun part. I installed the passenger sleeve to the etched line like said in the instructions and welded it all up and then installed the gussets, painted everything, installed the axle sleeve and installed the brake rotor and the 3 bolts that hold it one were tight but I had about a 1/16th" gap before it was seated. So I tightened it just a little more and the rotor will not turn. I noticed that the passenger sleeve is sticking out too far so the axle shaft cannot go all the way in. Now what? I installed it like the instructions said, did I do something wrong or was the etched line wrong or what. Can I just grind the end of the sleeve a little so the axle shaft can go all the way in. Please help I need suggestions fast cuz this is my dd and I need to fix it today. Thank you
Old 09-16-2012, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are going to have to trim off that excess. People trim sleeves all the time if they dont get them all the way in. It is no big deal and that extra 1/2 inch of sleeve isnt going to be missed, or effect the strength.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:06 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by c17loadmaster
You are going to have to trim off that excess. People trim sleeves all the time if they dont get them all the way in. It is no big deal and that extra 1/2 inch of sleeve isnt going to be missed, or effect the strength.
OK awesome that's what I figured, I have been freaking out all night, in fact I barely even slept. It's weird cuz I pretty much guessed on driver side cuz the line was just spiraling down the sleeve and I went off the line on passenger and it's all jacked up. Thank u I will tear off the rotor and axle and grind the heck out of the sleeve so my axle will fit
Old 09-16-2012, 08:42 AM
JK Junkie

Bump any other ideas thanks
Old 09-16-2012, 09:08 AM
JK Junkie

Grind it off with no issues!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:32 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stick a rag or something into the axle tube first so no grindings get into there. Pull the rag when your done. You could even run a magnet to make sure you get it all out.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BONDSY
Stick a rag or something into the axle tube first so no grindings get into there. Pull the rag when your done. You could even run a magnet to make sure you get it all out.
Id use a port-a-band if you can get your hands on one.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:51 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks guys. I'm taking a break right now from grinding, gonna finish it soon
Old 09-17-2012, 07:51 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bob-o
I installed evo sleeves yesterday and when I first installed the driver side sleeve to the etched line like in the instructions, the line went like a spiral. So I looked at the line for the passenger side and the line was the same all the way around so I figured the driver side sleeve just got messed up when they made it, so I went off of the passenger line and installed and welded it and it worked perfectly. Now here comes the fun part. I installed the passenger sleeve to the etched line like said in the instructions and welded it all up and then installed the gussets, painted everything, installed the axle sleeve and installed the brake rotor and the 3 bolts that hold it one were tight but I had about a 1/16th" gap before it was seated. So I tightened it just a little more and the rotor will not turn. I noticed that the passenger sleeve is sticking out too far so the axle shaft cannot go all the way in. Now what? I installed it like the instructions said, did I do something wrong or was the etched line wrong or what. Can I just grind the end of the sleeve a little so the axle shaft can go all the way in. Please help I need suggestions fast cuz this is my dd and I need to fix it today. Thank you
Please give us a call. Ask for Andrew
Old 10-26-2013, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any update on how this went? I need to trim my EVO sleeves tomorrow to make room for some Nitro axles. What's the best way to trim of about 1/4"?

Quick Reply: EVO sleeve install problem! please help.