Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

EVO Sleeve/Gusset Installation Cost

Old 11-28-2011, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO Sleeve/Gusset Installation Cost

Hey guys,

I've been calling around to the local shops trying to get quotes for the sleeve and c gusset installation. First shop I called asked, "What's an axle sleeve?" Needless to say I ended the conversation shortly after. The last place I called gave me a quote, $500 just for the install, not including cost of the kit. Is this about what I should be expecting or is 500 bucks way off? Thanks.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:06 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ctJK14
Hey guys,

I've been calling around to the local shops trying to get quotes for the sleeve and c gusset installation. First shop I called asked, "What's an axle sleeve?" Needless to say I ended the conversation shortly after. The last place I called gave me a quote, $500 just for the install, not including cost of the kit. Is this about what I should be expecting or is 500 bucks way off? Thanks.
When I did it myself, I worked with a few buddies for about 10 hours pulling the axle, removing ball joints, BSing, eating, grinding, drilling, welding, more grinding, then painting...so 500 bucks seems like a pretty dang good deal IMO. I estimate that if all things went smooth it would have taken roughly 12 hours to complete, which makes their hourly rate pretty good if total cost is 500...

Granted this was our first time pulling axle. If you've done it more than once you could cut down on time...

Last edited by Imposter_LRF; 11-28-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reading around on the forum it seems like the costs are usually somewhere between $300-$500 estimated, depending on shop rate of course. Most individuals couple it with a gear job, since the axle is going to be torn apart anyways.

I am getting gears done soon and the shop I am going to use is quoting me 4 additional hours on top of the gear swap to get everything done.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Just depends on if you have the tools and space to do it yourself. It also depends on how you want to install them with the sleeves mine were installed with the gears and carrier in just took the shafts out and diff cover off then after drilling blew the tubes out with an air compressor then ran a magnet through each tube and it was just fine! Then when I installed the c gussets I welded them on with the ball joints in just wrapped them with a cold wet rag. That will save alot of time. I know there will be people that say you shouldn't do it that way but mines just fine.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jsears
Reading around on the forum it seems like the costs are usually somewhere between $300-$500 estimated, depending on shop rate of course. Most individuals couple it with a gear job, since the axle is going to be torn apart anyways.

I am getting gears done soon and the shop I am going to use is quoting me 4 additional hours on top of the gear swap to get everything done.
If they are charging you 4 hrs on top if the gear install that is a rip off!! They already have the axle apart so drilling holes and welding will take 30 mins max. That's just insane.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jesse0376
If they are charging you 4 hrs on top if the gear install that is a rip off!! They already have the axle apart so drilling holes and welding will take 30 mins max. That's just insane.
Thanks for the heads up! I will give them a call and barter with them.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the heads up! I will give them a call and barter with them.
Make sure they know what is involved with the sleeves and gussets. If its a good shop they should do it in 30 mins if they take their time like smoke breaks or BS in between then maybe an hour. I would call around and see what other shops will charge. Its hard to find an honest shop. I had a buddy that was a mechanic at a shop he said they would put used parts in cars all the time and charge them for new so make sure you do some searching before going to just anybody.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jesse0376
I'd love to see somebody drill 22 1/2-inch holes in the axle housing in 30 minutes, let alone welding up the holes, the sleeve ends and the gussets.

You should plan to pay for about 4 hours of work if the housing is already removed. Eight hours otherwise and that is fast.

I did my own sleeves, gussets and LCA skids and it is a lot of work.

Last edited by bbrown626; 11-28-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:37 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried to call David at Northridge? He may be able to give you a better estimate. I asked him once but I forgot what he quoted me for the total package.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I don't see doing the drilling and welding in 30 min I would expect more like 1.5 hours to drill and weld after the axles are apart. You really need to remove the axle so you can get to all the drill points. To break down the axle remove anddrill install weld and reassemble I would think somewhere from 4-6 hours so your estimate of $500 is reasonable. If you lived closer to me I would do them for you for $150
Planning a trip to Kitchener Ontario Canada? Lol
It's really nice here with the snow come Christmas time or come check out Octoberfest next yr!!!

Quick Reply: EVO Sleeve/Gusset Installation Cost