Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

EVO Rockstar skids, TF 3" w/9550s, ? about shock length

Old 10-10-2009, 05:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EVO Rockstar skids, TF 3" w/9550s, ? about shock length

Looking at getting the Rockstar rear lower shock mount skids from Offroad Evolution. I'm running the Teraflex 3" LCG longarm lift. Its my understanding that the teraflex 9550 shocks that come with this kit are a perfect match to the lift. The rockstar skids will raise the lower shock mount up, causing the shock to over compress it self on uptravel at full stuff, causing potential damage to the shock. My question is if I add a 1" spacer in there(at all for corners really), would that get rid of the problem off over extending the shock? I dont want to add bumpstops to limit my travel, thats why I am considering the spacers, since I still have the ones from my teraflex leveling kit. Plus it get me room for 37s running the spacers. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not only compression you need to worry about, you also have extension. By adding an inch, you're gaining compression, but also losing extension. I just installed the RockStars this week, and on a TF BB using the OEM shocks (w/o TF extensions on the rear), and the factory bumpstop, I have about 1/2" before the shock fully compresses on FULL articulation (ramped the JK on my friends lift) and about 1/2" before it fully extends.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suffolk is absolutely right. I've had my rockstars since last March running the TF 2.5 inch lift with coils & 9550 shocks. I've extended and stuffed my shocks a bunch of times with no troubles at all. The only concern I had when I first installed them was the angle of the lower shock mount. It seems to pinch a the shock a little at the bushing but so far it hasn't been an issue.

Here's my thread. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/teraflex-9550-shocks-ore-rockstar-issues-78670/

Last edited by wheezer; 10-10-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:13 PM
JK Freak

Yes, I have the same set up. I had to add 2' TF bumpstops to prevent the top of the shock
from smashing the top of the shock tube. Concerned about lack of flex. But...talked to ORE
rep and Mel today. The rep said I should still have good flex since there would be more
drop, but I only have 3' between the bumpstop and its hitting pad. The Rock Stars are
great, no worries about hitting rocks and damaging the shock mount.
Mel said to bring my JK in next week, which I will do and he will check to see what to do.
And,,,,getting the ORE front coil overs installed, really looking forward to that!
Old 10-10-2009, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do you have access to 1/4" steal? If so just cut a 3 1/2 square appox stick it in a vise and bend it to follow the conture of the lower bracket and weld it. works great
Old 10-10-2009, 04:12 PM
JK Freak

I have the TF 3" flex arm (short arm) kit. I have 8" until my bump stops hit and 8.25" until my shocks bottom out. I asked a similar question on here. The easiest solution for ME is to just get ORE rear LCA skids. If I really wanted rockstars it was suggested I get different shocks. This would be an expensive endever just to get some additional ground clearance. I've chosen to just get the skids, they look tough, and should protect the rear shock mount. Granted I don't get clearance but instead I get solid protection when I do hit something.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/i-about-get-rockstars-but-104451/
Old 10-12-2009, 04:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'll prob end up getting the kilby skids since they bolt on and still protect the shocks, and run those with the evo LCA skids.

Last edited by highoctane; 10-14-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:14 PM
JK Junkie

Well, I don't see how the hell anyone with aftermarket longer shocks can run the EVO RockStars. With my factory stock shocks and EVO Stars, I only have less than 1/2" travel left up and down on full flex WITHOUT running extended rear bumpstops, only factory ones. Flexed on a lift to allow for full flex.

Quick Reply: EVO Rockstar skids, TF 3" w/9550s, ? about shock length