Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Evo Gussets Install?

Old 06-18-2010, 07:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo Gussets Install?

Ive never welded, but plan on buying a MIG welder and practicing a bit and then welding in my gussets. Has anyone welded there own gussets? Ive seen the write up and it doesnt look too bad, but is this something i could realistically do in a few months?

also are axle sleeves necessary?

I ordered the Evo Gussets, and i got the four gussets, but is there anything else i need for the install besides those and a welder??

any good cheap welders that i can use?
Old 06-18-2010, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

i welded on my own and had no problems. if this is your first welder i would have someone eles at least help you. welding can be more of a challenge than it looks. the last thing you want to do is blow a hole threw your axles or c's. you also need to have good penetration. it may look great but break off later down the road. good luck and if you have any questions let me know i would be happy to help you with settings or info.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steven4est
Ive never welded, but plan on buying a MIG welder and practicing a bit and then welding in my gussets. Has anyone welded there own gussets? Ive seen the write up and it doesnt look too bad, but is this something i could realistically do in a few months?

also are axle sleeves necessary?

I ordered the Evo Gussets, and i got the four gussets, but is there anything else i need for the install besides those and a welder??

any good cheap welders that i can use?
I had a buddy give me a Century 110 unit probably one step better than HF but not there with Hobart or Lincoln. In fact I think Lincoln bought them now. Anyways I got a bunch of scrap steel from work and played around with it and then welded first my LCA and then the gussets. Take your time and go slow you will be fine.

Mel helped me out with a hint on the upper gusset you firts weld the outer edge and then hit it with a hammer and it folds in around the back of the ball joint. I've noticed on all the ones I've seen on the trail mine are the only ones that this is done on.

Also for me getting in the tight spots and welding above your head and backwards it helped the remove/unscrew the shield from the tip. I also was on setting 4 with a speed of about 2-3 and went slow with the welding this seemed to work best for penetration.

Let me know if you have any questions when you get into it and I will try and help. Or call Mel he is the man!
Old 06-18-2010, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Evo Gussets Install?

I welded the evo gussets on my jeep... I'm not a pro welder but I have practiced alot. Just take your time and remember to take breaks to let the ball joints cool. I also did the control arm skids. If you get a mig I would say make sure you can hookup gas to it. It makes welding much easier
Old 06-18-2010, 07:39 AM
JK Freak

hey guys awesome!!! yeah im going to get a welder and practice for a bit, maybe start with welding in my muffler and then do my gussets.

Do i need axle sleeves??

how much can i expect to pay for a decent welder?
Old 06-19-2010, 07:37 AM
JK Super Freak

sleeves are a good idea if you have the extra dough. i would say 500 would by you a good starter mig. i would not buy from home depot etc... there welders are not the same lincolns you get from a welding shop. go to your local welding shop and price them out and find what model you want. then get online and find the best deal. if it isn't much difference buy local cause they will help you out if you have a problem. 110 is very handy to have and you will keep it for small jobs or for the convinence of 110 if you go up to a bigger unit later (not a wasted purchase). good luck
Old 06-19-2010, 09:39 AM
JK Junkie

+1 on practice. Get scrape metal and work on all angles. If you get good at the practice on welding tubes. The hardest part (for me) was getting the timing down. First too fast then too slow. Best advice is get decent at it before you touch your jeep.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um, welding gussets and sleeves into your axle isn't a first timer DIY endeavor.

I'm a fairly adept weekend wrencher, having worked on all my own stuff for 25 years (cars, bikes, trucks and my Jeep), but re-ratio'ing differentials and welding are two areas I'm happy to farm out to the professionals.

Good luck not melting the cup in those cheap stock ball joints and successfully plug welding your sleeves...
Old 06-21-2010, 10:05 AM
JK Freak

I think im gonna do scrap metal for a few weeks, then do my exhaust and finally my gussets. Is there a cheaper flux core welder out there that could weld my gussets, or would i have to get a high performance miller or lincoln?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:37 PM
JK Newbie

I have done some ark (stick) welding, with practice my welds are good if I don't have to weld overhead of vertically. I thought I could weld the EVO gussets so I bought a flux core welder and practiced on scraps at different angles and overhead. After evaluating my results I took the Jeep to a professional Mig welder. The gussets are not as easy to weld as they appear. Don't ruin your Jeep, I'm very glad I had a pro do it.

Quick Reply: Evo Gussets Install?