Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

evo gusset install question

Old 09-21-2009, 11:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Omaha
With the front suspension fully unweighted, a little persuasion will get the top half of the gusset home w/o removing the springs. You're not going to hurt either.
Originally Posted by wildandwillin
True but to get a full weld with proper penataration across the top of the gusset the spring should be removed. It also helps if your using a wire feed welder as the gun is hard to get in where the spring covers the gusset.
thanks alot, about to pull the trigger on this one, with the adition on the lca skids and axle tube reinforcement
Old 09-21-2009, 01:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i welded mine, i left the ball joints. It was a pain in the ass to keep them cool though. It would have been so much easier to weld if the ball joints would have been removed. Put it this way, it took me a few hours to weld them. If the ball joints would have been off, i could have done it in an hour or so.

corey d
Old 09-21-2009, 01:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by UGOTKERN
Was it the shop in your sig the did the half a$$ job?
Actually yes. The gear installation seems all in order, and I have heard nothing great about thier work, but none the less, I wasn't real satisfied. I just dont see any redoing a job like that! My fault for assuming they would have done them before. I don't like slamming anyone behind their back, and I am sure if I went back they would try to take care of it, so I should have removed their name before I posted that statement. Bad on my part.

Last edited by kflash; 09-21-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

mine went in no problem,jack up the front and burn them on
Old 09-21-2009, 09:27 PM
JK Freak

How much are shops charging to weld these in?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 08leocon
How much are shops charging to weld these in?
I really would like to know this. I know most can weld their own, but i cant and would like feedback from anyone that has paid to have this done.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

i would think no more then a couple hours shop time to weld in the c braces and the control skids
Old 09-23-2009, 12:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by fullthrottle
i would think no more then a couple hours shop time to weld in the c braces and the control skids
much thanks for the reply
Old 09-23-2009, 12:58 PM
JK Freak

We were quoted $150 for just gussets to do them the quick way, ie leaving the ball joints in. They wanted $250 to do it the "right way" which included pulling the ball joints out, and then heat treating everything so there wouldn't be any expansion. Granted the shop I went to had never done this before. They specialize in BIG trucks so they rarely deal with our little D44.

Anyways, I ended up getting sleeves and LCA skids done at the same time so economies of scales kicked in so the price wasn't too bad.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FlameRed
We were quoted $150 for just gussets to do them the quick way, ie leaving the ball joints in. They wanted $250 to do it the "right way" which included pulling the ball joints out, and then heat treating everything so there wouldn't be any expansion. Granted the shop I went to had never done this before. They specialize in BIG trucks so they rarely deal with our little D44.

Anyways, I ended up getting sleeves and LCA skids done at the same time so economies of scales kicked in so the price wasn't too bad.
I was thinking of doing all three at the same time also, if you dont mind what was the final price?

Quick Reply: evo gusset install question