Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

evo gusset install question

Old 09-21-2009, 06:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default evo gusset install question

hi, i got the evo gussets for the front axle.. are you suppose to remove the factory ball joints for before welding in the gussets ? just wondering if most people did that ? thanks alote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:45 AM
JK Super Freak

I had mine done a couple weeks ago. Best case scenario, yes, ball joints need to come out, however, EVO themselves have said if you cover the ball joints with cold, wet shop towels and don't put too much heat on one spot during the welding, you'll be alright. That's how the shop that installed mine did the work and everything went off w/o a hitch.

P.S. MIG is the only way IMO.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:54 AM
JK Junkie

great thanks ! thats what i was thinking
Old 09-21-2009, 07:02 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shop I went too used Co2 to keep it cool.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The shop I went to didn't completely slide them down to the spring perch because the springs were in the way. They didn't remove the springs. Now I have what I call a half a$$ job. Guess they will still serve the purpose, but I wonder if my joints were thought of in the process?!

Time will tell.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kflash
the shop i went to didn't completely slide them down to the spring perch because the springs were in the way. They didn't remove the springs. Now i have what i call a half a$$ job. Guess they will still serve the purpose, but i wonder if my joints were thought of in the process?!

Time will tell.
so by the sounds of it, you have to remove the springs and not the ball joints. I know if you remove the ball joints you're not supose to re-use them.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:31 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kflash
The shop I went to didn't completely slide them down to the spring perch because the springs were in the way. They didn't remove the springs. Now I have what I call a half a$$ job. Guess they will still serve the purpose, but I wonder if my joints were thought of in the process?!

Time will tell.
Was it the shop in your sig the did the half a$$ job?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:35 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS
so by the sounds of it, you have to remove the springs and not the ball joints.
Thats correct at least off the spring perch. Keep the ball joints cool.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS
so by the sounds of it, you have to remove the springs and not the ball joints. I know if you remove the ball joints you're not supose to re-use them.
With the front suspension fully unweighted, a little persuasion will get the top half of the gusset home w/o removing the springs. You're not going to hurt either.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:10 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Omaha
With the front suspension fully unweighted, a little persuasion will get the top half of the gusset home w/o removing the springs. You're not going to hurt either.
True but to get a full weld with proper penataration across the top of the gusset the spring should be removed. It also helps if your using a wire feed welder as the gun is hard to get in where the spring covers the gusset.

Quick Reply: evo gusset install question