Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

EVO DoubleD Long arm bolt-on kit STUCK

Old 08-05-2013, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default EVO DoubleD Long arm bolt-on kit STUCK

Bottom line up front:

What bolt/nut is used for the rear upper control arm and how does it work?
How can I get the passenger side bolted in with messed up 9/16" frame bolts/nuts?

Okay, I've been working on this kit for the last three days, about 11 hours. I started on the rear thinking it might be easier. I got everything cut off and ground and all the holes drilled. I put the driver's side on and bolted it up with the 1/2" supplied bolts and it's fine. What I don't understand is how the stock upper control arm bolt is supposed to reach through the bracket and body now. I also don't understand how to get the nut to the bolt.

Now for the passenger side... I got it mounted and holes drilled. I went to install the short armed bolt when this happened with just a hand socket wrench:
Click image for larger version

Name:	MG_1321.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	485520Click image for larger version

Name:	MG_1320.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	485521

That is as far as it will thread by hand. It refuses to go through the nut and bent the heck out of the little arm. It wasn't fun trying to get it out.

I'm afraid to do the long armed one because it too does not thread all the way through the nut:
Click image for larger version

Name:	MG_1322.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	485522Click image for larger version

Name:	MG_1323.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	485523

So I'm stuck and un-driveable. I need some serious help. Am I missing a bolt pack? I have:

EVO-770008 - which I have no idea what it's for... front control arms? I know it's not rear.
EVO-770027 - Front drag link flip.
A small pack of bushings and spacers which I assume are for the sway bar connects.
A small pack of what looks like maybe the bolts for the 3/8" holes I drilled for the rear?
And the rear track bar mount u-bolts and stuff.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated. I wish the instructions were more clear. They seem to be written by someone that's done this at least a dozen of times for someone that's done it at least once.

-Brian
Old 08-06-2013, 05:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't delay, call EVO and send Chris a message!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I called Sean at Northridge immediately last night but it was already nearly 5pm Pacific. Sean tried to call Andrew at EVO but got voicemail.

I just got off the phone with Andrew and yeah, I'm missing the largest bolt pack. It figures, the most obvious thing missing (if you know what to look for). We ran down the inventory to make sure I had everything else and it looks good.

He's also going to send another passenger side 9/16" frame bolt set. They're lock nuts and aren't supposed to be hand cranked but I'd rather just throw some locktite on and have them thread all the way through. I'll throw a pair of vice grips on before I start it again just to make sure it doesn't bend as badly.

Now I'm waiting for shipping to Alaska. It's beautiful country up here but waiting for shipping sucks. Three days-ish, hopefully I get it for the weekend.

Last edited by r3cluse; 08-06-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just want to give a huge shout out and thanks to Andrew at Evo. He's been a tremendous help. And a special thanks to Sean at Northridge for jumping on this quickly.

Thanks again guys.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by r3cluse
I just want to give a huge shout out and thanks to Andrew at Evo. He's been a tremendous help. And a special thanks to Sean at Northridge for jumping on this quickly.

Thanks again guys.
Sorry, I missed this. I'll pass on the kind words to Andrew

Old 08-06-2013, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

No worries, and thanks!

I posted the first draft of my write-up in the write-ups section. It's 18 pages and still only on the rear portion. Feel free to use it, and if you want higher resolution photographs I used my Canon 5D MkII to take them in raw format. I can probably throw them on a disk and mail it. This kit is a pretty big undertaking for a weekend garage monkey. I counted on a good, solid, 40 hours of work. I'm going to be cutting that close.

Quick Reply: EVO DoubleD Long arm bolt-on kit STUCK