Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

EVO C gussets and Ball Joints

Old 12-21-2009, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have installed quite a few sets of the evo c gussets without taking everything apart and have had no issues.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rubican!
I am looking into gettign these welded on and this is what the welder told me about these.

well, heres my problem with these..the knuckles are cased metal.. they need to be pre-heated to get the weld to burn into it really well, then the upper ball-joints are not goin to be any good.. even if someone trys to weld them on its still goin to affect the ball joints due to heat transfer..

Is this true? amd i going to have to replace the ball joints when put these on. Its looking mroe and more like i should jsut get a whole new front axle.
The Knuckles on the factory JK housings are not cast. They are 1045 FORGED steel and therefore 100% weldable with or without preheat.

EVO...
Old 12-22-2009, 05:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Wings fan
EVO writes that in their instructions because if the Ball joint is removed you can't damage it. However ask Mel how he welds them on.

If you stitch it in 1 inch or less with a wet rag on the joint there was never a time when I couldn't touch the rubber on the ball joint with my bare finger. I'm not trying to be argumentative but this is a ture statement.

Rubican! if I were you I would get the advice of another welder. There is a guy in PA that is doing these for $100. To tell you the truth if I would have been able to pay someone $100 I wouldn't have done it myself. The job is a PITA
Who is this guy in PA? ANd where in PA is he? Pretty sure these will be a Christmas present, so it would be nice if I could get them on before my drive back to MIchigan.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just followed the install instructions and they work great. No balljoint issues. Use a wet towel and cool off periods.

Flash

Quick Reply: EVO C gussets and Ball Joints