Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Evo C-Gusset Enough Weld??

Old 03-09-2014, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlexjeepVb
Dam I wish I had a shop like that around here. As far as off road shops go around here there mostly accessory install shops that don't really know how to do anything except install a lift and some tires. The place I have been going to is the closest to a fab/offroad shop that I know of anywhere close to me.
X^2...I got quoted $200 from 4wheelparts. I thought it was pretty expensive considering it's 4 times what I paid for the gussets!
Old 03-11-2014, 03:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default i got a price of $230

so they claim 3 hrs it should take , but like others have said we don't have lots of places to bring them around here . S o if you want them on you have little choice . If you squabble over a few bucks here or there youl waste it in agrivation searching
im figuring . Im more concerned over if they weld it right .
Old 03-11-2014, 05:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only cost me $174.99 (with coupon) to weld on my C-gussets AND I got a MIG welder out of the deal.

170 Amp MIG/Flux Wire Welder - 220 volts @ 110 amps

Of course I had to teach myself to weld, but that was the fun part.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default we would like to see the weld job when you completed

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
I only cost me $174.99 (with coupon) to weld on my C-gussets AND I got a MIG welder out of the deal.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee

I picked one of these up when my miller 110v wasn't cutting it on the thicker stuff. My only issue with it has been the wire feed. Its mainly plastic so the feed wheel wobbles causing inconsistent wire speed. Otherwise its worked perfectly.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default tired of parts installers in VB

Originally Posted by AlexjeepVb
Dam I wish I had a shop like that around here. As far as off road shops go around here there mostly accessory install shops that don't really know how to do anything except install a lift and some tires. The place I have been going to is the closest to a fab/offroad shop that I know of anywhere close to me.
I too am tired of parts installers here in VB. So I am doing something about it. I do all of my work myself. I have access to a full fab shop and have 15+ years of Dragster and jeep build experience. PM me for your next project.

-Chaotic
Old 03-11-2014, 06:53 PM
JK Junkie

Alex where did you take it? I've got a welder here but to avoid cooking the bj's I'd probably take it to a local weld shop.

Chaotic- what shop are we talking about? I've been in the area a while and have heard of shops coming and going, but it seems like 15 yrs, it's here to stay.

Sahara4me- nobody in their right mind would weld an Artec truss with the axle under the vehicle since it *should* be heated and cooled slowly, particularly when welding to the cast pumpkin in the middle.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls
Alex where did you take it? I've got a welder here but to avoid cooking the bj's I'd probably take it to a local weld shop.

Chaotic- what shop are we talking about? I've been in the area a while and have heard of shops coming and going, but it seems like 15 yrs, it's here to stay.

Sahara4me- nobody in their right mind would weld an Artec truss with the axle under the vehicle since it *should* be heated and cooled slowly, particularly when welding to the cast pumpkin in the middle.

Yes, when welding to the pumpkin...but the inner-C is forged steel...no heat required. Made my own out of 1/4 plate burned them in with a tig and cooled the BJ. Key is to move around and use plenty of cooling on the BJ's. If you try to rush you will melt the bushing in the BJ.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sahara4me
welding 101- when you are welding two different thicknesses of metal you concentrate the heat into the thickest material first. The welds need some work and obviously finished, but its typical of a lot of 4wd shops that don't have a full fabrication department. $165 is quite steep for some quick grinding and laying beads like that. Fab/Offroad Shops around here only charge $45 to $70 to weld on full ARTEC Trust with axles still under a vehicle.
Damn I wish I could find someone around here to do a truss for that cheap! I got quoted a grand to weld the artec truss in. I feel like for that price I can take a class and learn to do it myself
Old 03-29-2014, 04:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sahara4me
Fab/Offroad Shops around here only charge $45 to $70 to weld on full ARTEC Trust with axles still under a vehicle.
Not trying to bust your balls, but I say no way on this. If they are, they will not be in business long if they are this cheap on everything they do. People don't realize how long it takes to "weld something up". There is usually more time in prep work than the actual welding.

Quick Reply: Evo C-Gusset Enough Weld??