Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Evo C-Gusset Enough Weld??

Old 03-08-2014, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as a former welding student, this is actually almost sad to see a shop would send work out looking unfinished like that
Old 03-08-2014, 05:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kh202
If I were you, I'd still try to be calm and polite with them. Telling them the welds suck and "oh btw can you finish the back" probably isn't gonna get you very far.
Haha yes of course. The last thing I want to do is actually tell the dude he sucks and then work on my jeep again lol. Hopefully they make it right and don't give me any trouble. I just don't understand why it looks like he did a nice complete job on the bottoms and half assed the top ones..
Old 03-08-2014, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlexjeepVb
So I just had my Evo C Gussets installed at my local 4x4 shop. The lowers looks welled great, just had a question about the uppers. The front look welded ok and so does the top, but on the back of the drivers side it looks like theres only 1 little spot of weld? Is this ok because there welded in other spots and it will still provide the extra strength needed? I know this is not a structural part and just there for added strength but I also don't want it to fail and bend if I'm on the trail. What do you think is this fine or should I go back up there and ask them to weld the rest up? Here are a few pics Front Top Back
If you don't mine me asking, how much did they charge you for the install?
Old 03-08-2014, 05:41 AM
JK Freak

They charged me $165, which I thought was really fair, till I looked at it haha, hopefully they make it right and all will be good. will update after visit.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:12 AM
JK Freak

I agree, the welds don't look great and probably lack a ton of penetration, but do you guys think those welds will will fail? I'm just asking because I'm curious how much stress and force the gussets will actually see. They're just there to reinforce the c's - not support the weight of the jeep.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:50 AM
JK Freak

So I just went back up there and talked to the welder that did it. I showed him the one weld on the back and he was like oops I forgot that one lol. I showed him the other spots that I had concerns about as well and he sounded like he would take care of it. Unfortunately they can't get me back in till Wednesday (not a big deal caz i don't plan to go wheeling between now and then). He did a nice looking job on the bottom gussets and I'm pretty confident that he will fix the uppers and get them welded up nicely.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

welding 101- when you are welding two different thicknesses of metal you concentrate the heat into the thickest material first. The welds need some work and obviously finished, but its typical of a lot of 4wd shops that don't have a full fabrication department. $165 is quite steep for some quick grinding and laying beads like that. Fab/Offroad Shops around here only charge $45 to $70 to weld on full ARTEC Trust with axles still under a vehicle.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:43 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Something else to think about,did they remove the ball joints??I've welded a few of these and i leave them in but work from side to side,using a cooling rag to keep temps in control.Though the welds may look bad,they may still be doing their job.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sahara4me
welding 101- when you are welding two different thicknesses of metal you concentrate the heat into the thickest material first. The welds need some work and obviously finished, but its typical of a lot of 4wd shops that don't have a full fabrication department. $165 is quite steep for some quick grinding and laying beads like that. Fab/Offroad Shops around here only charge $45 to $70 to weld on full ARTEC Trust with axles still under a vehicle.
Dam I wish I had a shop like that around here. As far as off road shops go around here there mostly accessory install shops that don't really know how to do anything except install a lift and some tires. The place I have been going to is the closest to a fab/offroad shop that I know of anywhere close to me.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by familytime
Something else to think about,did they remove the ball joints??I've welded a few of these and i leave them in but work from side to side,using a cooling rag to keep temps in control.Though the welds may look bad,they may still be doing their job.
They left the ball joints in, and I talked to him about that and he said he would do the small welds side to side to prevent damage. I think once he finishes welding everything up it will be good to go.

Quick Reply: Evo C-Gusset Enough Weld??