Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Evo C-Gusset Enough Weld??

Old 03-07-2014, 10:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Evo C-Gusset Enough Weld??

So I just had my Evo C Gussets installed at my local 4x4 shop. The lowers looks welled great, just had a question about the uppers. The front look welded ok and so does the top, but on the back of the drivers side it looks like theres only 1 little spot of weld? Is this ok because there welded in other spots and it will still provide the extra strength needed? I know this is not a structural part and just there for added strength but I also don't want it to fail and bend if I'm on the trail. What do you think is this fine or should I go back up there and ask them to weld the rest up? Here are a few pics
Front
Back
Old 03-07-2014, 10:16 AM
JK Freak

To be honest all the welds look cold and not well penetrated. It looks like they used a small welder and small wire.

Edit to add that it looks like they focused the heat on the gusset and very little on the axle housing itself. I understand the fear of overheating the ball joint but the fix is to keep a cold wet rag around and make small welds with cooling in between.

Last edited by jnabird333; 03-07-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doubt that is going to get it done. The welds that are there look pretty bad as well.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:22 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jnabird333
To be honest all the welds look cold and not well penetrated. It looks like they used a small welder and small wire.
Thats what I thought too. No penetration into the axle itself
Old 03-07-2014, 01:49 PM
JK Freak

Yea , those welds look like crap . Were axles left in when welded ? I mean everything left assembled ? When done.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:16 PM
JK Junkie

Lol I'd take it back and tell them to finish it
Old 03-07-2014, 08:35 PM
JK Freak

Well thx for everyone confirming what i had thought. This is why I do everything myself on my Jeep, but unfortunately I have not learned how to weld nor have a welder, but it would proboly be more cost effective for me to buy one and take a class and learn how to do it RIGHT! I hate how it seems that if I ever have to get something done at a shop its not done right the first time, and now I have to go back there and tell whoever did the work that they did a crappy job and get them to work on my jeep again...
Old 03-07-2014, 09:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics of new welds? Those look BAD.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:23 PM
JK Freak

I am going to bring it back to the shop in the morning and see what they say..
Old 03-08-2014, 03:20 AM
JK Junkie

If I were you, I'd still try to be calm and polite with them. Telling them the welds suck and "oh btw can you finish the back" probably isn't gonna get you very far.

Quick Reply: Evo C-Gusset Enough Weld??