Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

EVO Bumper

Old 11-21-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO Bumper

Has anyone installed the evo bumper on their own, with the stinger? I didn't realize I had to hack up the frame, and I get easily confused by directions; anyone who has done this mind telling me a) am I just removing the lower cross member completely and b) how did you go about securing and drilling the stinger to the bumper? Wish I had known I was going to need big boy tools, I woulda stopped at harbor freight on the way home.

or short version: what tools/bits do I need to install this bad boy

Last edited by sneck; 11-21-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:59 PM
JK Super Freak

anyone? I know some of you have this!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:12 PM
JK Newbie

I did it, its really no big deal its heavy as hell but u only have to drill a couple of small holes. Getting the plates behind the bumper is kinda tricky but no big deal ask some friends for help picking it up. As far as hacking up the frame get a sawzall and hack it up the directions are real easy to follow
Old 11-22-2011, 03:19 AM
JK Super Freak

so did you remove the cross member entirely? the weld on mine seems a bit different than in the picture, I don't think mine has that gap. And what size bit did you use for the stinger holes, do you remember? did you just hit it with some rustoleum after you drilled?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:24 AM
JK Super Freak

So I talked to Andrew over at EVO, turns on the confusion was because jeep made a change to the cross member in 2010, and there is some extra plating on the side that needs to be cut as well. Makes for some very creative sawsalling (making up words is fun). He also recommended putting some paint on the parts of the frame that get cut, but said it's not really needed for the parts of the bumper that get drilled. wicked helpful, gave me the heads up on some additional trimming that needed to get done as well. hopefully I'll get this on at some point today
Old 11-22-2011, 10:45 AM
JK Super Freak

looks like I need to have this thread moved to builders corner or something. It appears that with my model year (2011) you can't simply remove the lower cross member, you actually have to grind off what looks like only a quarter inch, but may well be an additional half inch off the frame rails to be able to slide the bumper all the way on. Off to the store!
Old 11-22-2011, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

Mine is a 2010 i jus cut off that cross member entirely, i think i used a 3/8 drill bit and i didnt paint anything seems to be holding up jus fine
Old 11-22-2011, 02:00 PM
JK Super Freak

did your cross beam have extra plating on the end to connect it to the rails? mine had like an end cap welded on to connect the rails to the cross beam
Old 11-22-2011, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

Ya kinda sorta, do u allready have the bumper? Its pretty straight forward with there directions, i had to drill into my electric disconect for my swaybar and rotate it out of the way but it was easy
Old 11-22-2011, 02:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Yeah I was trying to put it on today, the directions and what I had to do for cutting just didn't like up, but Andrew said it was a change jeep had made to the cross beam. I cut right along the weld the first time; and that wasn't enough, so I went out and got an angle grinder and I'll give it a shot tomorrow, weather permitting

Quick Reply: EVO Bumper