Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Evo Bolt On Coilovers

Old 01-01-2013, 02:35 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Evo Bolt On Coilovers

I have a few questions i am looking to find out some information on. I am looking at getting some evo coilovers front and rear. I dont have a need for the 14" coilovers yet, but want to make sure i am not looking to buy another lift (or all new 14" coilovers) when i get new tires again. I am wondering how simple it would be to upgrade to 14" travel shocks after getting these kits, or if i am better off getting the weld on kit for about the same price that can use the 14" up front. Would i run into and issues running 14" front and rear? Such as needing limiting straps or having to switch anything else? In the rear it looks like the only way to get the 14" of travel is with the lever system. Im not quite sure why this is aswell as i swore i have seen rear coilover towers that weld on that can hold either 12" or 14" coilovers. I know with my current set up it would be pretty tall, but like i said id rather deal with it being tall than have to redo all of the suspension down the road when i get 37s or bigger. By the sounds of it, its not as simple as getting the towers and throwing 14" coilovers in there, it also sounds like if you have the 12" bolt on kit i cannot just swap to 14" shocks later. I just want to make sure i plan ahead. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Maertz
Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maertz
I have a few questions i am looking to find out some information on. I am looking at getting some evo coilovers front and rear. I dont have a need for the 14" coilovers yet, but want to make sure i am not looking to buy another lift (or all new 14" coilovers) when i get new tires again. I am wondering how simple it would be to upgrade to 14" travel shocks after getting these kits, or if i am better off getting the weld on kit for about the same price that can use the 14" up front. Would i run into and issues running 14" front and rear? Such as needing limiting straps or having to switch anything else? In the rear it looks like the only way to get the 14" of travel is with the lever system. Im not quite sure why this is aswell as i swore i have seen rear coilover towers that weld on that can hold either 12" or 14" coilovers. I know with my current set up it would be pretty tall, but like i said id rather deal with it being tall than have to redo all of the suspension down the road when i get 37s or bigger. By the sounds of it, its not as simple as getting the towers and throwing 14" coilovers in there, it also sounds like if you have the 12" bolt on kit i cannot just swap to 14" shocks later. I just want to make sure i plan ahead. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Maertz
You are really comparing apples to apples..

Can I ask why you want 14" coilovers?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:08 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For now i have 35s and 12 would be plenty. But ive learned to plan ahead when buying parts so i dont have to go a different route later. My next set of tires will be 37is at least if not 40s. I just want to get a system that will work now and also down the road. I take it my plan isn't really the easiest to achieve?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For now i have 35s and 12 would be plenty. But ive learned to plan ahead when buying parts so i dont have to go a different route later. My next set of tires will be 37is at least if not 40s. I just want to get a system that will work now and also down the road. I take it my plan isn't really the easiest to achieve?
You can still use 12's and run a 37" or 40" tire. Even though you can get more droop with a 14, I would think 14's would be harder to use because unless you raise your JK up a few inches higher, you would have very limited uptravel. At least that is my understanding.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

14" is really tall, thats why we dont sell very many of them. You can still get 14" of travel out of the 12"s and run 40's with a nice LCG set up.

Quick Reply: Evo Bolt On Coilovers